BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL

looking into changing my speakers in my 1999 e46 328 coupe. but what to go for? I dont want to be cutting anything about and looking to get 6+9 for the rear. can anyone thats changed there speakers help me out as to what to get.

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would definitely forget about the 6x9s and upgrade the speakers at the front of the car.
I'm not sure on sizes for a e46, maybe 5 1/4" but like i say, not sure.

Also.. Budget?

·
Registered
179 Posts
on my E36 318i I put fusion up front 13mm 130w if i remember correctly and rear are fusion 280W 6x9... with adaptors thanks to somone on this site showing where to get them

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
Ive got some Vibe SEK69 6x9s running off my amp, Ive diverted all the sound to the back til I upgrade the front, TBH Im not even sure bout doing the front as its loud and clear enough as it is at the mo

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ive got some Vibe SEK69 6x9s running off my amp, Ive diverted all the sound to the back til I upgrade the front, TBH Im not even sure bout doing the front as its loud and clear enough as it is at the mo
if young-un like I Toxic brand are an excellent choice or fusion, JBL, blaupunkt and last but not least vibe, companies like sony and audiobahn are not as good as they used to be for speakers. also alpine are on the verge of losing it for speakers. Alpine cd players are top quality at least. p.s by the way you'll need to do cutting to make speakers fit (If you go bigger)

·
Registered
38 Posts
See here is the catch... When you go to a gig, do you stand with your back facing the stage?

Although some people do prefer that "nightclub" type sound where its just echoing and coming from all around you, its generally a better sound to have coming from in front of you.

Also you will find in the majority of 6x9s that the treble units are totally carp.

If you upgrade your fronts with a decent set of speakers (preferably components) and amp them instead of the rears, you will get a much better sound quality.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic there!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
See here is the catch... When you go to a gig, do you stand with your back facing the stage?

Although some people do prefer that "nightclub" type sound where its just echoing and coming from all around you, its generally a better sound to have coming from in front of you.

Also you will find in the majority of 6x9s that the treble units are totally carp.

If you upgrade your fronts with a decent set of speakers (preferably components) and amp them instead of the rears, you will get a much better sound quality.

Sorry to the OP for going off topic there!

Hmm good point, I see what you mean, but you can feel the bass through the whole car.

Saying that Ive ordered some components for the front:hihi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what to get and where from tho? didn't think i could go wrong with a set of 6 by 9s. and if i buy the adapters shouldn't have to do any cutting. And then i would do the fronts later on. Also thinking about amping the rears but what amp do i go for? As you can tell i don't know a lot about car audio lol.

On the other hand will be fitting some front anti roll bar bushes, lower arms and drop links tomoz.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Ive only got 6x9s in the rear but have Kenwood components in the front.
Im not a big stereo enthusiast so only wanted a cheap easy upgrade from the standard rubbish. It all depends on how far you go and how much you want to spend, but the setup ive got suits me well. :D
The world is your oyster as far as audio upgrades go.:thumbsup

·
Registered
33 Posts
Speakers in a E46 coupe are 13cm front and rear,just need the adaptors from ebay. Links are attached for in my personal opinion a excellent and good price setup. Id replace fronts first tho with the components. You want sound coming from the front. Alot of people go on watts, you can get budget speakers boasting 1000w this doesnt mean they are good or loud. really is worth going for quality not quantity.

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/tse1302i-180-watts-2way-speakers-p-12619.html

http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk/View...s - Clearence Price &CAT_CODE=31&SUBCAT_CODE=

http://www.carstereos4u.co.uk/bmw-s...k-1206-speaker-adaptor-kit-819618-314693-.php

Hope this is some help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.