BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after xmas I was driving and squirted the washers and they went weak and then stopped. I checked and the water tank was near full.
Since then I have take the pump off cleaned it off, cleaned the tank ( was not that dirty). Still no joy. :mad

I disconnected the pipe from the washer nozzle and pulled the washer stalk and water came out the hose (so the hoses are not blocked or frozen). I have taken a nozzle off and poked it with various pins and other small strands of metal. Still no joy. :mad

I cant seem to blow through the nozzles so there is definately someting in the nozzle causing a problem, I would just replace all the nozzles with new but I am a bit surprised that all four nozzles have stopped working at the same time (bonnet and headlights). The nozzles are heated would this have caused a problem (I have check all associated fuses and all are fine)

Can anyone help??? Please.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I got massive problems on my E39 with debris in the tank that had gone through the pump as sludge and broken bits off the blades as it tried to work............ this ended up with ne pump and pipes.........

However is it the nozzles themselves or the system your blowing through, my advice is to disconnect the tube, it should be IIRC a pipe on the left hand side of your bonnet and just a few push fit connectors, try blowing from here this should further your investigation.

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the nozzles I was blowing through but there was no air going through them. I did disconnect the pipe where it connects to the nozzle and operated the pump and the water came through.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell me about it. BMW actually quoted £26 each so thats £104 for some poxy washer nozzles!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:confused...only 2 nozzles with twin jet as shown HERE, items 1 and 2.

Thanks for this link, from looking on there I notice that there are two washer pumps (here). I could not see them both last night as I started looking a bit too late in the day (poxy early nights). It seems I have only cleaned out the washer pump to the headlight cleaning jets. I bet the other is a bit blocked! (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you cleaned out the filters in the washer bottle?
If you've got headlight washers, you'll have two pumps- one at the front and one at the rear of the washer bottle.
You should be able to pull out both pumps from the washer bottle.
Undo the bolt at the top of the washer bottle and disconnect the low washer fluid sensor, which is at the front of the washer bottle at the bottom.
You can then pull out the washer bottle.
On the washer bottle you'll see two rubber grommets where the pumps were.
Pull these out and clean the gauzes. Give your washer bottle a good clean while it's out.
Pop it all back in and you shoud have your washers working again.
HTH

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cleaned it out as suggested and it still wasn't working! :frown
So I took the jet nozzles out and took one to pieces. Inside there is little red rubber that acts as a one way valve, for some reason that rubber had been sucked down into the nozzle and blocking the water flow, i pushed it right the way through and out the otherside, then fitted it back the way it looks like it should have been and the nozzles are now back on the car working a dream.:thumbsup

Thanks everyone.:)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ive had screen washer blockages,in the past on my BMW.Ive always cleared them instantly, by firing a jet wash at them,from point blank range!

Hope this is of any use

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had faulty non-return valve in heated washer nozzle and I couldn't blow through with my mouth at all. I removed the nozzle unit and pushed a thick heavy-duty twisted plastic wire from a lawn strimmer up the inlet pipe towards the jets. I felt the non-return valve pop open, gave the wire a few in/out cleaning pushes and the jets could blow through again. Everything fine now. A small jeweller's phillips screwdriver didn't work but the flexible plastic cord went through first time, like a pipe cleaner. Saved a bundle of $$$ and took 5 mins. Be careful with the 2 clips to remove the nozzle unit from the bonnet grille as I broke one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts