BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i have a clonking noise coming from passenger back wheel area of my car it happens on bumpy roads and is fairly loud id say in between slightly annoying and beating the bottom of the car in sort of noise i have been underneath and had a fiddle and the bushes look fairly old but solid no perishing just wondering if there is anything else that is common

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yes its a bit vague at higher speeds not awful but she loves a bit of tramlining lol deffo not broken spring just had a look think you may be right forgot to check those first time under there just had a closer look it sems to be sat a bit funny in the cradle so maybe a project for saturday morning/afternoon

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i seem to have sorted it took the passenger shock off and the top mount looked like a dog had been chewing on it got a new set this morning and the clonking seems to have dissapeared but after what you are saying i will have a good root around underneath and see if anythin looks shady

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right so have had a look and im not best impressed the passenger side mounts have started to tear the boot floor so basically i need to know if this can be sorted the tear is currently under half an inch long i have access to a welder and a hell loada sheet metal so may try droppin the subframe and having a little reinforcement session but i would like to know if this will work or make no difference

·
Registered
431 Posts
Oh man, that sucks!... and has me a little worried...

I hear that on cars under 10 years old BMW will often give you a goodwill gesture or something with a subframe tear? Or that they'll check it for free perhaps?? is that right? Immo is approaching 9, so i'd best get on it soon!

Would be good to know what to say to get the free check as Immo has a little clunk here and there when driving slowly, mostly when the weight shifts when nudging around a drive thru queue or something. Most noticably when I apply the brakes when going slowly. - I think it's time I popped her in and got it checked!

Any ideas the best way to approach them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
right so have had a look and im not best impressed the passenger side mounts have started to tear the boot floor so basically i need to know if this can be sorted the tear is currently under half an inch long i have access to a welder and a hell loada sheet metal so may try droppin the subframe and having a little reinforcement session but i would like to know if this will work or make no difference
It will work but the repair must be done well, good guide here. Official: DIY TMS Sub Frame Reinforcement - E46Fanatics

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well a i found out what my big clonk was had a lil look at the passenger top mount and the rubber was practically missing chucked one on from an e36 and presto clonking gone but i am still a lil concerned by the tear so next weekend she is goin in my cousins garage for a welding sesh

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry for the delay the car has been sat up for the last couple of weeks getting her on the road tomorrow so shall take some piccys then and enlighten you with my problem

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so guys i have a picture of my tar its not a great one but does show the tear itself

this is just next to the bush that holds the diff subframe to the car does anybody think that seam welding this and covering with a plate will offer any sort of extra protection

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Oh man, that sucks!... and has me a little worried...

I hear that on cars under 10 years old BMW will often give you a goodwill gesture or something with a subframe tear? Or that they'll check it for free perhaps?? is that right? Immo is approaching 9, so i'd best get on it soon!

Would be good to know what to say to get the free check as Immo has a little clunk here and there when driving slowly, mostly when the weight shifts when nudging around a drive thru queue or something. Most noticably when I apply the brakes when going slowly. - I think it's time I popped her in and got it checked!

Any ideas the best way to approach them?

Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about your car too much a 2003 saloon is it? The car must have taken some abuse to tear the subframe, it mainly effects per march 2000 cars

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.