BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

So - have a bit of an ongoing issue: acceleration ok from standing, but less so from, say 30mph. I can floor it and will pick up OK, but if I then take foot off, and floor it again, not a lot happens. The revs drop normally when i take my foot off, but it's like the pedal is sticky, taking a long time to come back to position, so when I press it again, there's not much pedal movement taking place, so car doesn't accelerate very hard. (Pedal is connected electronically isn't it?) This is how it feels, but it's hard to gauge...

First noticed this about 6 weeks ago. Since then have:

Replaced the valve cover gasket - was generally knackered.

Replaced the rubber intake boots to throttle body and Idle control valve, both of which had decent rips in them.

Replaced MAF (although have cracked the plastic grill (again) where the MAF connects to the boot - not that this matters much I guess)

Checked vacuum in DISA adjuster unit - seems fine.

and yesterday, spent about 6 hours changing the CCV oil separator (this needed doing as started making the familiar chewbacca noise about 3 weeks ago).

NB - Noticed that the throttle body was a bit grimy, but didn't have any cleaner so gave it a wipe and refitted it with new gasket.

Not gettting any OBD codes. Any ideas?? Pedal clogged, could it be that simple? Not sure how to check / test / clean?

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - will buy a new cable - my mistake thinking the connection was electronic! :thumbsup

Cheers

·
Registered
989 Posts
are all e46 cable throttle? as my car has cruise control (like many) i would of thought it would be fly wire (electronic) for the ecu to control throttle when going up or down hill on cruise control? just curious :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
ahh rite i see thank u :thumbsup

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you say the TB was grimy and that you gave it a wipe, how grimy is it now, especially in the corners etc? not that I am a BMW expert (yet), but a always thought carbon build up on a TB was usually the issue here? maybe the next thing to try if the cable doesn't resolve it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Chris - well not encrusted ... But certainly not carbon free either. I'll change the cable today, see what happens, and if nothing, buy some tb cleaner and take it out tomorrow (wife permitting!). I'll report back...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took about an hour once I'd fiddled about removing bits I probably didn't need to - but upshot is the car feels like new ! Acceleration smooth and hard, picking up well and going through the gears better than I can remember for ages. Cheers to all for help & advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts