BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the rear shoes along with discs and pads and wondering how I go about resetting the new ones , and do I need to re adjust the lever also even if it worked fine before .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Think Iv got it , done abit of google , still have a question though , how do I go about removing the shoes without the special tool?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers ronnie , at my rescue again

You will never guess what , that caliper I got was listed as 320/323/325 but damn thing wouldn't go anywhere near . So iv demanded a refund for misleading ad, anyway iv had to fit the old one as Im hoping it was the shoes at fault as the disc was stuck at one edge when removing ,
Iv fitted new shoes,springs,discs/pads and refitted the caliper , got to bleed it tomorrow as rain is worse now , do you think I will be ok driving like 30ft to turn it around as I'm on a busy road so needs To be pointing other way ,

·
Registered
7 Posts
there's how-to's in our how to section-click on NealP's link-the sticky-at the top of the how-to forum :thumbsup If you are worried then just push the car instead of driving it for that distance :thumbsup

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just got the hand brake lever to adjust then bed the brakes in . And I'm done , just hope fitting my old caliper back on will be ok . As when off the piston went back in fine .

So don't think it was seized as I'm guessing it wouldnt have gone back in would it ?

got a question about the cable too on this pic the cables are both slack but as you can see the left one is alot more , iv only adjusted at the rear wheels side but should it be hanging out this much, as it stands now if i lift lever up to max both cables get tight, so will this be ok , i never checked before i replaced the shoes weather or not the cables were uneven so i cant be sure if anything is wrong or even if it has been stretche do to adjusment last time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sussed it , had a feeling I didn't put the cable in the hinge thing behind the disk properly , cables are both level now in the lever and by click 4 wheels won't move,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just hoping it wasnt the caliper at fault as iv had to put it back on , will need to send the 320 one i was sent back for exchange .

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
My friends was getting hot and cooking the disc, I stripped off the caliper, removed the disc and the shoes were fine, but the pads were cooked and the piston rubber had come out of its groove, so I pumped out the caliper piston all the way, removed it, clamped the pipe, removed the caliper seal, cleaned the inside of the caliper and cleaned the piston, piston rubber and piston seal. The caliper had a build up of rust on the first "ridge" inside the caliper where the piston goes, so I cleaned this off with light sandpaper, the piston would then slip easily in the caliper(minus the rubbers). After that I blew everything off with a air line, lubed up appropriate parts with rubber grease and brake fluid, then put it all back together e.t.c..... All fixed now. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im hoping if mine was the caliper and it starts playing up again, while im waiting for the exchange , my disc and pads will be ok for a week of light driving as im not forking out for them again, need the fronts replacing soon .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts