BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning everyone

after yet another wasted morning of firstly trying to undo the locking wheel nuts for the front os wheel (de-threaded the end) i just jacked the car up, turned the front wheels to gain access to the abs sensor.

i removed the old one about 4 weeks ago, it had disintegrated
now this is my third attempt at reinstalling a new sensor, howevr despite my best efforts, ordering the exact abs sensor for my car, everytime one arrives, i try and fit it, it doesnt fit
its always slightly too big for the hole

does anyone know about issues with these sensors for a 1999 E46 323ci, as no matter how much information i give the parts people, VIN number, etc, the part never fits, but yet they claim its the right sensor for my car

i'm becoming more and more angry with this now, something so simple is turning into a nightmare

·
Registered
58 Posts
How far are they out width wise ? I had a similar problem on a Golf i had but just used sand paper to take the difference off ( they were close ).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they're out by probably a few millimetres, but the length of the sensor is about 2 inches

i tried that on the first one i got, but because theres so much electrics inside you cant tell where there are or how close to the outer casing they are, so i could end up making a new one useless

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The inside of the hole is common for building up rust, which decreases the size of the hole. Ideally you need to get your wheel removed and have a look, you'll probably need to clean the inside of the hole out.

What exactly is wrong with your wheel nuts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for that, yes looks like a build up of something around the hole

locking wheels nuts, had to replace them few weeks back, took the head off the locking attachment when tyring to get it off

fortunately i can easily get to the sensor, with it jacked up without the wheel coming off

·
Registered
128 Posts
They never just slide in on a car more than a few years old because of rust build up as already mentioned and the hole isn't that easy to clean up with the hub in situ. You are lucky your old one disintegrated as getting them out is no fun either!

Don't worry about sanding down the sensor itself to much as the plastic casing is quite thick and then plenty of lubrication and a bit of force will see it in.

Don't use copper grease though as it's a conductor and the sensor is an inductive pickup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks for the info, spent some time yesterday with a drill, smoothing out the hole, especially the opening

also found a part number from the old sensor (thankfully that hadnt disintegrated)

weird thing is, when i google this, all the sites come in foreign languages

however i did find one sensor on ebay, clearly showing the part number above

rather steep at £90, considering theres others on ebay for around £30

but thanks for all this information

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
UPDATE: well after getting my final sensor (before giving up), i tried once again, after drilling the hole earlier this week, i got some corse sandpaper and sanded down the sensor itself

it went it relatively easy, as quick spin round the block, the lights have now gone off the dash, the ASC button works and my coupe now has a fully functioning abs/asc system

thanks once again guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts