BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought myself a 323Ci Coupe and am loving driving it. However, on my trip back from work, it was stop-start traffic for 10-15 minutes. During this time, I noticed the needle on the engine temperature gauge was climbing relatively quickly. As soon as traffic eased slightly to enable a short drive without stopping, the temperature needle started falling relatively quickly. The highest point the needle reached was just over half way between the red and blue, however, when driving normally, the needle barely leaves the blue. Is this normal? I'm a bit concerned that something isn't right and if the traffic had have been worse, I think my engine would have overheated.. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
ide check the fan unit aswell overheating in slow or static traffic but cools when moving again can point towards a duff fan unit..

could be duff stat and fan unit..

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
But the temperature gauge in the blue under normal operating conditions points to the thermostat stuck open and the coolant system over cooling....;)
sorry missread it Mr Whittaker he stated it like it was actually overheating its actually not overheating but undercooling in the first place..

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
But the temperature gauge in the blue under normal operating conditions points to the thermostat stuck open and the coolant system over cooling....;)
Thats correct.... Just a stuck stat !

As said previously, the needle should sit smack bang in the middle, and should never really move, regardless of if your moving or stood still.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
sorry missread it Mr Whittaker he stated it like it was actually overheating its actually not overheating but undercooling..
Thought as much Doris, just wanted to clarify the situation...;)
Not often that I am right - or that you are "wrong" - or miss read...:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm quite concerned with the engine getting hot quickly in slow traffic. Would this be the thermostat or fan unit, or both? I think the engine would have just got hotter and hotter, the longer I'd sat in the traffic.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i think you got your answer, thermostat, the rise is because the oil and engine is already warm so the water will get hot fast!, but as it never goes above half way then the fan unit is fine, the car will cool fast as the thermo waon't shut off so the water flowing around the engine won't be able to be kept at a certain temp, eg colder water will be flowing around!, only problem with this is that it will be using alot more fuel as the car isn't at its most efficient.
drive the car, go home and sit inside with engine running for 10mins, you will see the needle doesn't get past half way!, and if something else is wrong then you are there to turn it off,. my guess is though it won't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think you got your answer, thermostat, the rise is because the oil and engine is already warm so the water will get hot fast!, but as it never goes above half way then the fan unit is fine, the car will cool fast as the thermo waon't shut off so the water flowing around the engine won't be able to be kept at a certain temp, eg colder water will be flowing around!, only problem with this is that it will be using alot more fuel as the car isn't at its most efficient.
drive the car, go home and sit inside with engine running for 10mins, you will see the needle doesn't get past half way!, and if something else is wrong then you are there to turn it off,. my guess is though it won't.
Cheers for that. Any idea how much it would cost to get a new thermostat fitted?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Cheers for that. Any idea how much it would cost to get a new thermostat fitted?
mate they are really easy to fit!., really easy!, buy a thermostat,(after doing what i suggested first!need to make sure)and have a look at the how to's on here, or an indi will do it for a few quid!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had the fault code p1622 on my e46 323 (dodgy thermostat) and i've noticed my engine really getting quite hot.. the car is quicker than i'd like getting to half temperature but once its there it stays there at 12 oclock, is that accurate as i've heard people talk of temp gauge staying at half but havent really been able to grasp what they were getting at. anyway i was just wondering if this was anything to worry about. i will of course be buying a new thermostat, just need to know if i should be going easy until i get it? thanks in advance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts