BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just about to collect my first BMW a 1999 320d and making a list of things to check. Can anybody tell me if the 1999 320d can have the updated Vortex type crank case breather fitted please?

Thanks.

Great forum by the way :thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I have a feeling that the 1999 model is slightly different as its a rotary VP44 pump type diesel not a common rail like the later ones. The breather system is different. I would need the last 7 digits of the chassis number to confirm though...:thumbsup

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Spot on as usual Steve :D the early 320d's(136bhp M47) have a slightly different Oil Breather design in which the Vortex Oil Separator will not fit!

So I'm afraid it has to be the foam "Loo" roll design Oil Separator for your engine, just replace it every 2nd oil & filter change.

This type of Oil Separator was also used in the FreeLander TD4 engine and can be purchased at half the price BMW charge. see quote..:thumbsup
http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms/dd/ee/3159/CRANKCASE FILTER

You might need to re0use the seals as the orientation is different to the BMW but the insert is a straight swap.
Pic courtesy of forum member russiankid left hand Oil breather is from 136bhp M47 engine and breather on right is from 150bhp M47N engine...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts