BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been looking around on this forum for ages while working on small problems with my car, so first I'd like to just say thanks for all the great information you guys have made available.

I'm having issues with a rough idle and I've noticed that the vacuum hoses around the pressure regulator seem pretty worn so I was considering replacing them. However I'm struggling to find where I would buy the hose, besides maybe a BMW dealership. I spoke with several people at places like Halfords (I know.. I know) and Euro Parts, but they seem to be unsure what I need to get. So if you guys know of a good place then I'd really appreciate it.

Also the breather hose is looking a bit worn on the outside, but not too bad, and I've seen a lot of people replacing them on here.. however the only place I've seen them for sale is eBay and I have a dislike for shopping on eBay. Does anyone know a reputable place for me to perhaps get one of these?

Thanks in advance for any help and thanks again for all the previous advice!

Cheers,
Chris

PS: I have a couple of photos on my phone, but my girlfriend has stolen the lead. I can get the photos on here if people think it might help.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm not sure on the dimensions of the vac hose you need, sorry. A good local car shop should be able to help you out though.

I can suggest that you also look at the ICV (Idle Control Valve). This does exactly what it says on the tin really! People remove them, buy a can of carb spray cleaner and jet the lot through. A load of nasty black stuff will flush out then the valve should rattle when you rock it (this is a good thing). When it's all blocked up the valve can't move and it doesn't control the idle properly. This fixed my idle problem on my 325Ci perfectly. £3 and an hour to do the job.

HTH.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The correct vacuum hoses are listed on www.realoem.com for your car, and I'd recommend only buying them from BMW - they're ordered by the metre, and are the proper non-collapsable pipe designed for vacuum purposes. Not that expensive either.

The hose you need for the Fuel Pressure Regulator is part #12 on this diagram:

From this page: RealOEM link to 318i Fuel System

Part # 11727545323 for the hose, should be about £10/metre - you don't need loads of it - I think I bought 2m but have used it for loads of other stuff too (bleeding brakes, fixing the screenwashers on my wife's Polo etc)!

Also, I think part # 17 on that doagram is your breather hose - only about £5 from BMW!

HTH

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hi. I replaced all the breather and vacuum hoses, not that expensive from the Dealer and you get the proper ones as a couple have an outer cover.The main hose comes in a metre length and you just cut to size, a couple of the other ones are a direct fit. These are at the front of the engine.
Check the 4 on the fuel rail as mine were all split, and easy to replace, No7 in the first picture post. No17 goes under the inlet manifold to the MAF. Jim
PS I changed the valve and T'piece at the same time. No4&2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for the replies guys! I'll have a gander at all that on wednesday!

I really appreciate all the detail and ideas, much more than I could've hoped for. If any of you guys any need any advice from PT just give me a shout ;).

I'm sure I'll be back with some more silly/simple questions soon!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to say a quick thanks to you all.. I replaced all the vac hoses and cleaned the ICV as suggested. Turns out the problem was the breather hose, of which one end tore off while I was trying to remove it.. and my thumb went through the wall of the other end. It was in a very sorry state.

It's nice to know the ICV is nice and clean and that vac hoses looked pretty rough, lots of crumbling on them too. Lots of little problems avoided before they even happened I feel.

So many thanks folks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well.. I thought it was all fixed.

My car started billowing white smoke/steam out of the engine as I'd managed to get the jubliee clip attached slightly out of place (stupid yes). Fixed that on well, on the last turn of tightening it up the pipe behind it cracked off.

I've looked it up, it's quite a cheap part but it looks like a right bugger to fit.. anyone ever had to change it? It's called something like a flanged connector pipe (goes in to the back of the engine block, the coolant pipe of the breather hose set is what connects on the other side).

So any advice/suggestions on changing that connector pipe would be amazingly well received! Unfortunately the car isn't really moveable now and is stuck outside my work, so I can't easily move it about.. meh :(

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hi. I changed mine last week, I posted this on another forum- Hi. Part was £7. part No. 11 53 1 708 808. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AL32&mospid=47631&btnr=11_2054&hg=11&fg=15 the Pollen filter housing off after that it is down to feel. Tools required are short 10mm spanner and long screwdriver to unclip coolant hose and 1 jubilee clip on coolant hose, which you can see if you stretch over from drivers side,you do not need to take off the ccv hose.
I found it easier to lay on top of the engine and use two hands to get at the 2x10mm bolts, just take your time and don't drop anything. Take the hoses off first and put them on last.
Make sure you get the old O ring out when taking the old connector off, new connector has an O ring fitted.
You will loose coolant so make sure and bleed the system after topping up to avoid air locks. HTH Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It fixed the idle problem yes.

There was no o-ring left.. it had died and turned to a messy strip of ruined rubber. I ended up having to buy a new pipe just to get the o-ring. However the dealer sold me the wrong pipe.. so I just used the o-ring and threw the new pipe in my boot for later.

Thanks for the advice guys! I wouldn't have gotten it sorted without it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts