BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking it to Three separate garages (one recommended Indy - http://www.sbseclipse.co.uk ) to try and confirm my coolant leak issue, and after getting the overflow tank replaced (which did seem to slow down the leakage), i'm still getting small deposits of coolant left on the road, with the light coming on after 3-4 weeks.

After some read up on here it looks like the gasket could be on the way out :frown, so guess its time to test this out. Does the following product look like the correct thing to get?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Block-Tester-...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

If this does locate the problem is there any price difference between getting this sorted now, or when it completely goes? At the moment, the only downside is filling it up with coolant every once in a while - no overheating or any other issues.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That would be what you need to test the gasket.

as for repair, if it is indeed the gasket, does'nt really matter when you do it BUT the longer you leave it the more chance of the car really over heating and cracking the head- if its the gasket.

The fact that you say there are coolant spots on the road could mean the prob lies elsewhere- did the garages not spot where the coolant is coming from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be what you need to test the gasket.

as for repair, if it is indeed the gasket, does'nt really matter when you do it BUT the longer you leave it the more chance of the car really over heating and cracking the head- if its the gasket.

The fact that you say there are coolant spots on the road could mean the prob lies elsewhere- did the garages not spot where the coolant is coming from.
Cheers for the quick reply Ray - nope, all three did pressure tests and couldn't find any leaks, and as its such a slow leak its not something that they can find whilst its in the garage. SBS said it *could* be the thermostat, but I guess he was just going through the common issues - when he replaced the overflow tank (the cars done 60K and I know they're prone to go around this time) seemed to of slowed the problem right down, but at the moment its purely (and expensive) guesswork!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
hi i am having the water pump replaced today on my e46 320d. I have been leaking for a while and the pump has been making a metalic grinding noise getting louder and louder it may be a possibility for you to check out.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
hi i am having the water pump replaced today on my e46 320d. I have been leaking for a while and the pump has been making a metalic grinding noise getting louder and louder it may be a possibility for you to check out.

Shit! Bad news mate.

I would Pm Tampon-Boy Ron and get his advice on that one real quick:thumbsup

·
Registered
210 Posts
Was the engine hot when they did the pressure test?

Only asking because when I fired up my civic at the weekend after an engine out job to sort the timing, I left it to sit and get up to temp at idle - all was fine until it reached temp at which point coolant started pissing out of one of the hose joints.

My thoughts on yours are that when the engine is hot, any cracks, gaps or holes will open up, allowing fluid (which will be a thinner consistency when it's hot) to flow through under pressure where it wouldn't when the engine is cold.

As an alternative, isn't there something you can put into coolant that shows up under UV when viewed through a filtered lens - so you can spot the leak. Ron might be able to help you out with a kit for this :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.