BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got a 318i SE (E46) and unfortunately we only have one key (not uncommon - only have one with the ST200).

Anyhow, the key has a mashed "Lock" button and there is a seperate BMW fo (but no blade in it) which we use to lock/unlock the car.

First question is: Can we get a replacement second key, and if so where from/how much?

Second Question is: If we press "Unlock" once, the car unlocks but the drivers window goes down. If we press it twice, the ar unlocks and the windows stay up. Is there a way to fix this?

Cheers,

Gaz

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hi. A new key will cost £90-£100, anything needing programmed into key will cost, phone dealer for prices. Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesus thats expensive for a key. I thought Ford's were expensive. Ah well, suppose that's what you get with a Beemer lol.

Any ideas on the window issue??

·
Registered
248 Posts
If it is the older shape key (not the diamond shape) you might be able to get a new rubber key pad from Ebay. Be aware that ebay blank keys can not be coded to your engine imobiliser.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
so would that be the same price for a normal key with no chip in it for a e36?

·
Registered
71 Posts
when you buy a key from the dealer they will code everything into it for you. I.e immobiliser windows up/down bootlid pop etc

·
Registered
387 Posts
the only key i have is a non immob key no chip just a plain key so would it be cheaper for that kind?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry it's been so long:

It's the older shaped key. When we got the car we have a single key with mullered buttons on, and a key with OK buttons but no blade. We have to use the key with no blade to unlock the car and the blade to start it.

Had a similar problem when we got a Range Rover with about 8 keys and fobs.

I think the problem lies with one of the previous owners messing around and cutting corners, so I am unsure if the one with the blade is even coded to the immobiliser as the other is on the keyring (may test this by removing the remote fob before starting the car :/)

Eitherway, I think a trip to BMW is in order for it. I am anxious about replacing the battery in the one fob we have that works and it losing it's coding at the moment :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts