BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1999 E46 318i major bogging down

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  eforty6 
#1 ·
my car has been bogging down for a while with the maf plugged in it can take around 20 seconds to get to 60, with it un plugged you can kind of still feel the hesitating but not as much, but then it idles like cr*p and often stalls at junctions and when im doing alot of clutch work. ive been trying to find a cure for a while, yes i need my diagnostics checked and its getting done on monday as a part of inspection 2. im just preety sick of it. and ive heard running the maf not plugged in is bad for your cats, so far ive done minor repairs, but with no effect at all.

cleaned maf with carb cleaner
replaced fuel pressure hoses (the small ones at the front of the engine)
fixed a split in the crankcase breather hose, im thinking about replacing this but only if it will cure it.
replaced fuel and air filters.

there seemed to be some pretty clued up people on here, so i thought it was worth a try. unlike the w**kers on e46fanatics. rant over.

#2 ·
I would be checking for any air leaks first from split hoses, split vacuum pipes, split engine breather pipes or split induction pipes, also any valves and diaphragms that may have failed. Any air that is sucked into the engine should travel past the Air flow meter otherwise it will give you a running fault and can trigger a Airflow meter fault code.

Also could you please remember to add the vehicle details in the thread title next time as per forum rules please, they have been done for you this time. It makes it far easier for people looking up help for their own problems or conversions.

#3 ·
today whilst in my drive i noticed theres a hissing sound at idle too? any ideas? theres missfire at idle also, most of the hoses have been checked the intake boot that connects to the maf has been checkd and the hose that goes into that still has suction, also the hose that goes into the valve cover has recently been repaired.
oh and yeah il remember that next time, i thought it did it for you all the time.

#8 ·
yeah got sorted today, does feel more powerful, but theres still my issue of the maf sensor, when i plug it in, it just doesnt run well at all. and the garage didnt have a diagnostic tool for my car, they claimed that my car was too old? it looked like a cheapy little code reader tbh.

problem with the garage. a couple of weeks ago they quoted us £200 for an inspection 2 and change the brake fluid, so far theyve charged me £226 without doing the tranny and diff fluid, which i bought myself. now to do thisand install the rocker cover gasket (which i could do myself) , theyre trying to charge me an extra £137.
Things they have left off the inspection 2 checklist:
majority of the general checks
diagnostic code read
brake fluid (i asked them to do this extra)
the original quote was £200
cigarette lighter fix (another extra)

the extras they have done:
replaced water jacket
replaced breather hose

now i dont see how those two things have made up an extra £137
sorry to rant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.