BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ladies and gentleman,

I hope someone can help. I've totally rebuilt the engine on my 318I e46. Reground crank, new bearings, pistons and rings. Head skimmed pressure tested...... blah blah. I've put the engine back in. Some lovely new oil, filled up the cooland. Fired her up. Purred like a kitten!

But.....

I've got a few problems, the car won't idle. It sits at 2500 rpm no matter if it gets up to temerature or not. Revs fine, but won't go below 2500. It doesn't stall or anything, its as if the throttle is stuck, but it isn't. But on the throttle body are 2 3 pin connectors, disconnect these and the revs drop fine. Ticks over fine, revs fine ect ect.... what are they? And why would they do that?

Second, the oil filler cap is pretty much sucked onto the block! Its like a vacuum. I've read up that this is tyhe ccv but is there any test I can do to see if its faulty? Or take it apart and clean it ect? How does it work?

Finally on the injector rail is a big outlet (in between 3 qnd 4 from memory) looks like a breatjer pipe sholud be on it... I've connected this to a pipe inbetween the maf and the throttle body. Is that right?

And finally finally. I've got clouds of white/grey smoke. Can't be head gasket as its all been skimmed with new head gasket bolts ect. What could it be?

Sorry about the list, but I want to drive it now I've spent so much on it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ronnie,

Its a 1999 318

Sorry I thought id signed up for emails when someone replied but clearly didn't. I've sorted out a few things since the email. Problem with the smoke has been sorted. Came down to a faulty ccv valve. The diaphram had a big hole in it. So I've ordered a new one yet to be fitted. Question though, when I took out the old one there was a small plastic tab just laying in the hole, about 1cm long its hollow and only about 1mm wide as if it pushes on the diaphram to open and close it but it doesn't seem to connect to either the the valve itself or the ali coolant bit. When I mentioned this to bmw they said that it shouldn't have anything there at all! But surely something has to push the diaphram closed or open?

Second issue is it won't rev past 3000 revs. In my experience this is normally cam sensor. This the same with these bmws?

Thanks for your time

John

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
the rev problems could be the cam sensor, a faulty throttle position sensor or an air leak
your best bet would be to check for any air leaks and get the fault codes read :thumbsup

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for your help, I should be able to read the fault codes Monday. Didn't have the right lead to connect to my ethos so had to order one. No doubt it will bring up a hole list!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks great, just what I was after!

I've bodged the ccv valve for now just until Monday when I can get to bmw to get another one. Used a carrier bag as I diaphram after prising it open. Runs a lot better but not perfect obviously.

Am I right in thinking that is the only thing that can cause the suction on the oil cap? Has to be vacuum from the inlet manifold getting past my shoddy workmanship and can't be anything else.

As I want to try and sort it Monday and the bmw dealer is a fair few miles from my house so want to get everything for a sucessful day

Thanks so far

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that. Ill have a look when I get home, I can't view the link on my phone. Thanks for the heads up about running negative pressure. Wheni remove the oil cap the revs seem so much smoother. So I think I've still got issues somewhere along the way. I can hear sucking as if its got an air leak but I can't diagnose from where. Even a can of easy start sprayed everywhere doesn't affect the revs!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just one more thing. When putting the cam sprocket on, the arrow points to the sky, then you have a second piece to put on which tells the cam sensor when to pick up. There is an arrow on this too does this point upwards as well? I'm guessing it does but can't be sure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts