BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been having major problems with my central locking. The key fob will open the boot only but not the doors. The doors will lock with the key fob but just not open again (deadlocks)! After you play around with the key for hours, trying to open and close the doors eventually it will open!

I took it to a BMW Dealer who said it was the door latch so I bought a new door latch (which was working as I tested it before installing it). I also replaced the door barrel as this was broken.

I then locked the doors to test once the new latch/barrel was installed and the same problem happened! I have now spent over 2 hours trying to get the door open but no joy (left the window open so can climb in). I took out the multiplug connected to the latch but no joy - still won't open!

Please Help!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have done some research on the web and think it may be a General Module 5 fault?
Hi, looks like it. I had a similar problem & found this guy who can fix your GM5 for £85. Since then its working like a charm!

Send him a quick email. His name is Colin, [email protected]

I didn't know how to take the GM5 unit from my car so I just drove to him.

He should be able to sort you out. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BMW GM5 module door lock problem

Hi, I just wondered if you managed to repair your door lock problems you have been experiencing and whether or not I can help.

A little while back I too had this problem where the doors would not open remotely, they would always lock but not unlock and so I investigated. My car was an E46 BMW 318is Touring which it turned out, had a faulty General Module called a GM5 which to replace new is very expensive particularly if you had to pay a BMW dealership labour rates to do it for you. So with a quotation nearing £400 I decided to have a go myself.

I found that cold temperatures played a part where they would not work whilst they would more often work if it was a warmer day and so it was time to locate this module and open it up to see what was happening. I should advise that I am a trained and qualified electronics engineer and so it didn't take too long to work out what the problems were. There are six relays in all each having two independant relays inside and are responsible for the door locks and up/down window controls. The relays are made by Tyco and as it turns out are now obsolete and so are very difficult to find but with my contacts have located a small quantity. If you are still interested in knowing how to fix this problem then I am happy to sell you the relays you need via Ebay - just search for Tyco V23084 Relay and you should find them. For your peace of mind my Ebay ID is 75eastwood and have 100% feedback so please visit the site if you continue to suffer with this problem.

Yours Faithfully
6409PG

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a problem with my central locking too (intemittent failure of central locking, opening only). I got a second hand general module for £60, fitted it, and coded the keys myself (guide found on the net). All working fine now (6 months on, no problems). The 2 relays in the module go bad causing it. Sounds like you have more than 1 fault, as the door should always open with the key, unless the actual lock is screwed too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
S
BMW GM5 module door lock problem

Hi, I just wondered if you managed to repair your door lock problems you have been experiencing and whether or not I can help.

A little while back I too had this problem where the doors would not open remotely, they would always lock but not unlock and so I investigated. My car was an E46 BMW 318is Touring which it turned out, had a faulty General Module called a GM5 which to replace new is very expensive particularly if you had to pay a BMW dealership labour rates to do it for you. So with a quotation nearing £400 I decided to have a go myself.

I found that cold temperatures played a part where they would not work whilst they would more often work if it was a warmer day and so it was time to locate this module and open it up to see what was happening. I should advise that I am a trained and qualified electronics engineer and so it didn't take too long to work out what the problems were. There are six relays in all each having two independant relays inside and are responsible for the door locks and up/down window controls. The relays are made by Tyco and as it turns out are now obsolete and so are very difficult to find but with my contacts have located a small quantity. If you are still interested in knowing how to fix this problem then I am happy to sell you the relays you need via Ebay - just search for Tyco V23084 Relay and you should find them. For your peace of mind my Ebay ID is 75eastwood and have 100% feedback so please visit the site if you continue to suffer with this problem.

Yours Faithfully
6409PG
So, years later, same problem with us. The car is a BMW series 3 saloon 1999. I have found these little things..... do you think they will work? I searched eBay successfully for Tyco V23084 Relay and found some for about £8.50 a pair...
The central locking will lock everything, but then not unlock, and the key only operates the drivers door. Boot and window mechanisms are unaffected.
So my plan is to buy them and then find someone to fit them..... what do you Think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had similar issue on my old E34, culprit were oxidised contacts on the central lock module - unplugged/plugged several times - this had cleaned the contacts in the connector. All good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts