BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi eveyyone i've just registered, i wanted to know i've got a 318ci coupe and the tappets have gone bit noiser, is there any treatment for noisy tappets or is there way of adjusting them. thanks

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Being a "ci" I presume I am correct in thinking you have a very early E46:thumbsup

This information needs to be included in the title. Once you have confirmed, a Moderator will amend the title for you. We like to keep a very tidy forum here:hihi

With regards to your question, have you checked that the oil level is correct and breather pipes are not clogged. It would be worth draining the oil and flushing the system through. Be warned though, there are mixed views on these flushing agents that are on the market:thumbsup

I've not heard much about BMW's suffering with tappets that I recall:confused

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
i've just used carlube fully synthetic oil 5w/40. thats the oil the garage recommended.
Firstly, sounds like you've just changed the oil. Do you knwo what grade oil was in the engine previously? 5w40 is a godo grade but a bit thin so if you're comming from a 10/15/20w??? grade the extra noise can be expected.

Always best to ensure the pipes that carry the oil to the top end are clear.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Thicker can reduce the noise, but i personally wouldn't want to put anything thicker than a 10w?? grade in it, this shouldn't make a major difference to your tappet nois as a result I would carry out the basic stuff mentioned above like ensuring the oil ways are clear etc.

It may be an idea to use your currently oil change as a flush, do around 500miles on it and then change it again. (no point in changing now as you've just put it in).

As for flushing agents, I use Forte (trade product, available from garages that stock it), or Wynns/Millers. I don't suffer any issues using these on my 328i and have done so for the past 3-4 years. My oil is changed regularly so it never builds up any deposits etc that I feel can clog oil ways etc.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It would be worth checking the oil spray bar that runs across the head underneath the rocker cover........these can get gunked up.

If you are using a 5w/40 then that would be what we would use on that car, thicker oils may actually make it worse..........as the lifters that u have a hydraulic ones and the oil does need to be thin enough to pass through the small oliway pin holes on them.

just to be sure....if all else fails, I would do a oil pressure check at the head to see if you are getting enough oils up there.

I've seen BMW's that have come in with noisey lifters, some just in the mornings where the oils is cold and thicker and some cars where the lifter noise would come and go during the course of the day, we found that on most occasions they were running the cars on a 10w/40 semi......which is actually fine but not all engines are the same .......we drained the oil- changed to Fuchs 5w/40 synthetic and that cured the problems with lifter noises.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
It would be worth checking the oil spray bar that runs across the head underneath the rocker cover........these can get gunked up.
got a picture of this?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
It would be a good idea to Auto-Rx your engine. Find a Group III synthetic oil to run with Auto-Rx that meets ACEA A3
I don't recall the name and not sure what other members views are regarding this method but it used to rectify the problem:confused

After an engine flush and oil change I added a ceramic based additive. It helped quieten the engine and I felt that it also improved the running of it too:thumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noisy lifters on my E46 316 2000

I was hopeing someone may be able to help, I have a noisy lifter problem on my 316. I am considering changing the lifter myself. Daft question but does the cam shaft have to come out.
Thanks Bmmerdiv

·
Premium Member
12,946 Posts
top end rattles n noises on the 4 cylinders is usually a consequence of running them on duff or crap oil.. sludge build up blocks the oil spray bar..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.