BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI Guys, Took my car in to the garage and was told that the alignment was out. They had a go at it and it was still out. finally the mechanic told me that the alignment was out because I had cheap tyres on the car. (The two front tyres are "Maxim" brand and I got them brand new about two months ago.) My question is will the quality of tyres affect the alignment even after it has been adjusted? the readings on the report I was given are: front total toe 0.13, steer ahead 0.00 and rear total toe 0.14 thrust angle 0.00. I need to know before I shell out on tyres I dont need. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
my brother inlaw works for tyre spot he said that cheap tyres wouldnt effect the tracking , he said on some cheap tyres you can get high spots and get vibration when driving but that would not effect the tracking mate think they are pulling a fast one they probably on commission the more they sell the more they earn !! take it to another garage , i would get all the ball joints and bushes checked out before you set the tracking

·
Banned
344 Posts
HI Guys, Took my car in to the garage and was told that the alignment was out. They had a go at it and it was still out. finally the mechanic told me that the alignment was out because I had cheap tyres on the car. (The two front tyres are "Maxim" brand and I got them brand new about two months ago.) My question is will the quality of tyres affect the alignment even after it has been adjusted? the readings on the report I was given are: front total toe 0.13, steer ahead 0.00 and rear total toe 0.14 thrust angle 0.00. I need to know before I shell out on tyres I dont need. Thanks in advance.

Whether you have cheap or expensive tyres- that wont improve the tracking. most likely cause is another component i.e bent wishbone or a track rod.

Has the car had a hit at all?

·
Registered
616 Posts
ummm i think they want more cash out of yer i would go elsewhere for a second opinion and have everything checked

·
Banned
478 Posts
I dont really know why they can't set it?? Did they do it on a laser alignment machine? and was it 4 wheel alignment? My guess is the tie rod had siezed and they could'nt be bothered with it, unless you forked out on new tyres. Budget tyres these days are a lot better than they use to be, thats partly the reason why we dont have remoulds anymore.

You can align any car, and there is plenty of scope for alignment on cars, Get it somewhere else, dont be made a mug out of.

·
Banned
344 Posts
The components are bent.........they may not be able to set the alignment to spec- what they probably mean is that they have tried to set it up but the adjustment settings are at max and still not right.

Seen it many times and cars that have taken a hit to the wheel/suspension, if you don't trust them then get another opinion- if they too can't do it then something has been damaged/bent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys, Many thanks for your replies. I can confirm the car has not had a hit since I acquired it, but that does not rule out that possibility. And this was a reputable indy (recommended on this forum, infact) who should have been able to advise if the components were bent. They also state it was a four wheel alignment job and the report they produced showed all four wheels. I believe they do not supply tires either so I think this was just sloppy work/shoddy workmanship on their part. Am I within my rights to take it back and demand they take another look? They charged £108+Vat for the privilege!

·
Banned
478 Posts
The components are bent.........they may not be able to set the alignment to spec- what they probably mean is that they have tried to set it up but the adjustment settings are at max and still not right.

Seen it many times and cars that have taken a hit to the wheel/suspension, if you don't trust them then get another opinion- if they too can't do it then something has been damaged/bent.
:thumbsup

Of course, if the tie rod/control arms are bent, you will be just kicking at a dead horse.

but assuming all is good, then you can align any car.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Hi Guys, Many thanks for your replies. I can confirm the car has not had a hit since I acquired it, but that does not rule out that possibility. And this was a reputable indy (recommended on this forum, infact) who should have been able to advise if the components were bent. They also state it was a four wheel alignment job and the report they produced showed all four wheels. I believe they do not supply tires either so I think this was just sloppy work/shoddy workmanship on their part. Am I within my rights to take it back and demand they take another look? They charged £108+Vat for the privilege!
If you are not happy, go back and tell them, it is your right. If you think the job has'nt been done correctly then do so! :thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
The alignment is set to a particular setting. The only thing that stops you adjusting to the setting is if something is seized.:shifty:

The alignment can be set and still pull to one side due to tyres, most of the time poorer quality makes but not always.:thumbsup

Do you have directional or non directional tyres on the front of the car?

Is your steering wheel central or does it sit on the P*ss?

If you are using non directional tyres then get them swapped left to right as this often cures the problem.:thumbsup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks A20 RYM. To answer your questions, the tyres I have are MAXXIS Surpasa MA-V1 in the front. I dont know for sure if they are directional or not, but will have them swapped all the same to find out if that will solve the problem. Do the readings:front total toe 0.13, steer ahead 0.00 and rear total toe 0.14 thrust angle 0.00 indicate a correct setting of alignment? There are some other figures on the sheet, happy to scan and send if they will help clarify further. The steering wheel is central after they adjusted the alignment. Used to incline to the left initially.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Many thanks A20 RYM. To answer your questions, the tyres I have are MAXXIS Surpasa MA-V1 in the front. I dont know for sure if they are directional or not, but will have them swapped all the same to find out if that will solve the problem. Do the readings:front total toe 0.13, steer ahead 0.00 and rear total toe 0.14 thrust angle 0.00 indicate a correct setting of alignment? There are some other figures on the sheet, happy to scan and send if they will help clarify further. The steering wheel is central after they adjusted the alignment. Used to incline to the left initially.
The place you are using sound professional enough and it could well be the tyres. You will know if a tyre is directional (I'm pretty sure the Maxxis are:frown) because there will be an arrow to show it's rotation on the sidewall.

The equipment they are using isn't one I've used I'm afraid so the numbers won't mean anything to me:frown

What size tyre are you running on the rear? Id it the same as the front? If so you could swap the fronts to rear and see if that improves the problem:thumbsup

Out of interest, what leads you to believe the alignment may be incorrect?

The steering wheel being central indicates to me that the alignment is set correctly:thumbsup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car pulls to the left on a flat road. Actually the mechanic said so himself when I went to collect the car and then went on to mention/blame the tyres. I will do the back to front swap like you suggest, as I found a website in Australia (of all places!) that suggests that these tyres are directional in their tread pattern. The rear tyres are the same size as the front, so this should hopefully work out okay.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I'm sure the front to rear swap will cure the problem. Tyres CAN cause a vehicle to pull one side:thumbsup

Worse case scenario is have the tyres on the front put on to the opposite wheel ( left tyre onto right wheel/Right tyre onto left wheel):frown

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright guys, got the news! The back to front swap did solve the problem! Funny, though, the rear tyres were directional as well but of different brands. Thus the tyre guy wasnt convinced the swap would make any difference, but it did. Now the steering is as straight as anything you ever saw! Many thanks to all of you, especially A20 RYM!
P.S. how do I change the thread title?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts