BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a E46 316i saloon with a heating problem....I was searching the net and came across
your Forum....my problems that I am not getting enough heat to the cabin....

I do get some heat while driving but far from what it should be and if I turn up the fan
the bit of heat there was....slowly disappears.....I think that the heater element is not
getting enough water through it....any ideas would be appreciated...thanks

BTW it does not have A/C.....just the simple system.

I found this bleeding explanation on one of the threads and we have done all this.

"1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I presume your temperature guage reads dead centre, so you may have a malfunctioning heater valve...item no. 4 HERE.
Thanks for your reply :thumbsup

But it ses :

"FOR VEHICLES WITH AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
OR PREPARATION AUTOM.AIR CONDITIONING"

Does the standard heating system also have one of these....thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks....what does this "water valve" actually do ??

There is water getting to the heater inlet behind the pollen filter.....but
when we remove the hose from the heater outlet there is not much
water coming out....that is what makes me think off a stoppage OR
air bubble in the heater element :thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks man....but no...the motor gets upto running temps with no probs...just not enough heating in the cabin :thumbsup

I'm just trying to find out how to blow/bleed that heater element ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm new to forums and couldn't find how to post.
I have a 1996 316iSE with A/C. No display on screen and it only blows cold air. I replaced the themostat and blled the coolant system of air. Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Thanks man....but no...the motor gets upto running temps with no probs...just not enough heating in the cabin :thumbsup

I'm just trying to find out how to blow/bleed that heater element ;)
If it blows hot at first then cools down then you may have a knackered water pump, the impellers are known to come adrift.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,

I have a E46 316i saloon with a heating problem....I was searching the net and came across
your Forum....my problems that I am not getting enough heat to the cabin....

I do get some heat while driving but far from what it should be and if I turn up the fan
the bit of heat there was....slowly disappears.....I think that the heater element is not
getting enough water through it....any ideas would be appreciated...thanks

BTW it does not have A/C.....just the simple system.
UPDATE:

It seems it is the heater radiator that is blocked or semi blocked....my wrench talked to large dealership that has changed a few of them.

So it's going in next week....what a PITA tho they have got to take out half the bleedin cabin :jaw-dropping...oh well :hihi

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
UPDATE:

It seems it is the heater radiator that is blocked or semi blocked....my wrench talked to large dealership that has changed a few of them.

So it's going in next week....what a PITA tho they have got to take out half the bleedin cabin :jaw-dropping...oh well :hihi
In that case the wrong antifreeze was used or the antifreeze wasn't changed regularly enough :frown

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In that case the wrong antifreeze was used or the antifreeze wasn't changed regularly enough :frown
You could be right mate...I bought it 3 yrs ago....so I don't know :thumbsup

Mind you the car never really gets warmed up I just use it around town so that could also be part of the problem....it looks good tho :hihi.......I put a lot more miles on my other black machine :thumbsup :D

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You could be right mate...I bought it 3 yrs ago....so I don't know :thumbsup

Mind you the car never really gets warmed up I just use it around town so that could also be part of the problem....it looks good tho :hihi.......I put a lot more miles on my other black machine :thumbsup :D

Good looking bike Kev, I know nothing about bikes so what is it? :hihi.......:confused

1 - 14 of 14 Posts