BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a December 1999 E46 316i that i have had a few problems with, which have caused me to visit a garage to have the codes read.

I am now thinking of getting a cheap scanner to read the codes myself. I'm not sure if my car is OBDII compliant though.

I have contacted my local dealership, but they were not in the slightest bit helpful - unsurpisingly!!

I know the peake tool will do it, but its over £120, which is a bit steep a the moment. I can get a universal obdII and 20pin adaptor for £40 on ebay.

Anyone got any info?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
He will have the 20 pin connecter in the engine bay Steve...how you going to help him out?...you got one of those Peake jobbies? :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
Yep :thumbsup
I don't mind helping someone out, the Peake tool can get some use. :thumbsup

The the OP, I notice you are in Oxford, I dont mind meeting you somewhere and ill read the codes for you...:thumbsup

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Serously mate. I would really hold off and get the Peake tool. I know it more money but these OBD readers are not great. A peake tool or BMW specific scan tool will read BMW codes and make diagnostics so much easier.
An OBD reader will only read codes related to emissions..:frown
I really dont mind reading the codes for you, but IMO that £40 or so pounds could be put towards a Peake tool or carsoft..:thumbsup

Im sure NealP will say the same. :thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Serously mate. I would really hold off and get the Peake tool. I know it more money but these OBD readers are not great. A peake tool or BMW specific scan tool will read BMW codes and make diagnostics so much easier.
An OBD reader will only read codes related to emissions..:frown
I really dont mind reading the codes for you, but IMO that £40 or so pounds could be put towards a Peake tool or carsoft..:thumbsup

Im sure NealP will say the same. :thumbsup
Definitely agree with Steve...I have used that reader before and it does not show all codes that require a BMW specific reader like Peake. Just look at Steve now...he is really chuffed with the Peake I sold him and I reckon he won't turn back now :hihi

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I had a feeling that would be the case! Glad i didnt waste my hard earned then!

Where did you get your Peake from?
I got mine from NealP funny enough..:hihi
Its just a very basic easy to use tool. I dont use it much as I have a Bosch machine but it is so quick and easy to use..:thumbsup
I think you can get them from a company called motormec, they also sell them on Ebay :thumbsup
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEAKE-DIAGNOS...9|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

·
Registered
143 Posts
How does the Peake tool work with only a two digit display? or is there more to it?

The two digit display looks naff to be me and gives me the impression it would be a pain to navigate menus etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How does the Peake tool work with only a two digit display? or is there more to it?

The two digit display looks naff to be me and gives me the impression it would be a pain to navigate menus etc.
The Peake puts most code reader to shame. The digits are Hex based and you get a look up table chart booklet which tells you in depth, what the errors are. It is as good as what BMW use but a quicker version.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.