BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I'm sure you have covered this before, but I was trying to answer a question for someone quickly. Can I simply disconnect old lights from 1999 E39 and re-connect 2001 headlights or are cable adaptors required.

Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Snowblind. I have a 2001 LCI so H7's, but am selling some polished used lamps on eBay and keep getting asked if they will fit earlier E39's.

Cheers mate.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
O I C. I believe the cluster units will fit physically. I can compare my 530i with the 535i to see if the cabling is a close match. I'll let you know in a little while.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I believe its a case of "close but no cigar" although its nothing that can't be fixed with a replacing one of the connectors AFAICS. I think its just the connector for the angel rings vs the old side light bulb thats different. Everything else looks like it will go straight in. If you dig around on realoem you can probably confirm this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Snowblind. Thanks for that, yes I suspecting that the sidelight were the issue from what I could remember from owning earlier E39's. I guess it would be a matter of soldering the aftermarket LED cable to the BMW sidelight cable. I did look on realoem, but the pictures did not give me a definitive answer; not like a real-life owner ;)

I looked at LED's but they would not fit in place of my H7 bulb as they do not have a holder, so upgraded my halogen lamps with HORIZON LED 55W HID's last year and the difference is incredible.

They are an excellent company as well; lots of help and 2 year warranty; I don't get on with Chinese imports.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if I responded to you or not Snowblind.

The link to H7 halogen upgrades is

H7 Xenon HID Conversion Kits | H7 Xenon Bulbs

I have had the £89.95 items in my car for past 11 months. I needed to buy some adaptors from fleabay to hold the HID bulbs in, and make up a spacer with copper wire to hold the bulbs tightly in the headlamps. [The original halogen bulbs are held tight by the two flat pins into the BMW connector.] They do throw a Canbus error when off, but when on are very bright and have a tight beam. I had them aligned in the last MOT and haven't been flashed by oncoming drivers yet telling me they are being dazzled.

Overall a huge difference from the dreadful halogens (even when I fitted Osram Nightbreakers)

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
So HIDs not LEDs.

I understand your reticence about the Chinese stuff. Having said that I've bought about 5 sets of the LEDs I'm using. Got them in both my 5s and my bike (TL1000R). No problems with them functionally. It was a bit of a faff getting them to fit the 530i but I doctored some HID adapters (probably like the ones you bought) and in they went.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you exchanged the interior lamps for bright LEDs? There are seven in an E39 so are worth it to stop flattening the battery when doors open and they look fantastic. Just ordered a couple for my wife's Subaru.:thumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts