BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi here just bought the above car, very pleased. One thing that is strange to me (coming from a vw diesel) is the when i rev it in neutral there is a lag while the engine revs settle back down. Is this normal? its not a huge lag but the revs do take maybe a second and a half to get back to idle from a rev to 4000 rpm ish. Engine is sweet otherwise, no issues atall that I can tell (from the 10 miles I have done so far!)

The stereo is low on bass as well but then i guess you guys know that already!

Any info greatfully received.

Cheers
Alex

·
Banned
478 Posts
Hi here just bought the above car, very pleased. One thing that is strange to me (coming from a vw diesel) is the when i rev it in neutral there is a lag while the engine revs settle back down. Is this normal? its not a huge lag but the revs do take maybe a second and a half to get back to idle from a rev to 4000 rpm ish. Engine is sweet otherwise, no issues atall that I can tell (from the 10 miles I have done so far!)

The stereo is low on bass as well but then i guess you guys know that already!

Any info greatfully received.

Cheers
Alex
Unfortunately that is the sign of a knackered engine!!:jaw-dropping

:hihi

Jus' Kidding

I'm fairly sure that will be an air leak in the vacuum hoses somewhere, I'd thoroughly inspect the hoses to be sure.:thumbsup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My heart just skipped a beat then!!!

Phew, will check the vacuum hoses, thanks for the advice. I am guessing this would be an easy replacement?

Cheers
Alex

·
Banned
478 Posts
Yes, any vacuum hoses are easily replaced. Its a simple job to do yourself. But take time to look, as splits can be difficult to detect. Also have a listen, Have a friend rev the car, or rev it yourself.

Be extremely careful though of moving parts! dont wear a tie or lose clothes!

You should, with a bit of luck hear a hiss of a suction noise, coming from a hose.

If you cannot see any problems here then get the fault codes read, and post them on here, and somebody will be able to tell you the problem! :thumbsup

Take a look

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DM42&mospid=47539&btnr=11_2203&hg=11&fg=45

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DM42&mospid=47539&btnr=11_2680&hg=11&fg=45

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow those diagrams are great, thanks for the help. Had a quick listen earlier to today at idle and didn't hear any obvious hiss. Wasn't really sure what pipes to look at but now I know!
Took her on a run for 50 miles today and went really nice. Managed 33 mpg easily as well which was a bonus. Also managed quite a high speed as well which is dangerous!
Will get the old man to give her a rev for me in the week with my head under the bonnet and let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Alex

·
Banned
478 Posts
I stole the idea from the moderators :hihi Shhh. Dont tell em.

Its an amazing tool though...

Reactions: Ronnie

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Otherwise get the fault codes read for the car by a good BMW independent or main dealer, it may show up something

·
Registered
454 Posts
some of the later model cars (about 1999) have electronic 'fly by wire' instead of a throttle cable and they are well known to be less responsive

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK this was an old thread I know but i have finally fixed my problem (i hope anyway!)
After buying a new throttle cable in an attempt to help the sticky throttle I put my head under the bonnet the other day and whilst looking at how to remove the throttle found a huge tear in part 5 on this pic

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DR32&mospid=47554&btnr=13_0643&hg=13&fg=15

Went dow the local dealership and bought a new part plus some new clamps for £12:thumbsup. Bought a Haynes and fitted it today. Had to remove the MAF (bit scary!) and some other sensor thing that smelled of petrol:confused? The clamps were a pain to get off but not too bad.
Fired her up and she was loads better:D! drives 10 times better than before so very happy.
Probably worth having a look at this part next time your head is under the bonnet as it was almost in hlaf on my car. THe material had really perished.
check this out

http://www.argyrides.eu/bmw/mods/intake_boot/boot.htm

cheers
Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts