BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1999 740i that has developed a ticking noise behind the glove compartment. The noise starts when the car warms up and ticks in intervals (about every 5 to 10 seconds a flurry of ticks happen - then quiet for another 5 to 10 seconds). Almost sounds like a rodent.

Any help :

·
Registered
11 Posts
That could possibly be a relay working intermittently. Any problems electrically with the car? The other possiblity would be an air vent actuator. Do you have climate control or manual AC?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I own a 1999 740i that has developed a ticking noise behind the glove compartment. The noise starts when the car warms up and ticks in intervals (about every 5 to 10 seconds a flurry of ticks happen - then quiet for another 5 to 10 seconds). Almost sounds like a rodent.

Any help :

........I would try a chunk of BabyBel spiked with poison, that'll get the bugger.:thumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same thing on a 1999 740i was told by BMW agents it was "" Normal and was
the heater control valves and nothing to worry about although once you know a car it
won't stop you worrying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It may also be a good idea to check the fuses in the glove box dept. If they are loose (bearing in mind they are upside down) when going over speed humps over time, can make them work intermittantly. I get a funny "buzzz pa pa pa" noise when i switch the beast off, its the heater switching off. Pretty strange stuff from a car that was once £55,000 !!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ha Ha, thats a great description there Sunny, 'Buzz pa pa pa'. I also get that exact same noise occasionally when I switch off. :hihi

·
Registered
119 Posts
Go on then Neal, give us a clue, whats a HVAC? Or am I being totally dense?? :embarrassed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Aha, cheers guys. I learn something new every day about my E38. Its amazing the technology in these cars. I work for GM UK looking after robots which build the Vauxhall Astra. They seem prehistoric in comparison. Although dont spread that as theyve been paying my wages for the last 15 years. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts