BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, now ive had my BMW For just under 2 years now, and with my bonus etc and money saved up, ive been wanting something abit quicker, 110 bhp is been good for a while but i want more.. now ive looked into buying a new car, etc but cant really bring myself to get rid of the car ive had from standard im sure some of you will know the feeling.

now is my dilemma, i have about 2 Grand too spend, ive looked into engine conversions etc, but they don't seem to have the ability for even more power when i want it..

so then i thought about Turbo / Supercharging, but is this really worth it, and possible within the limit, there's Turbo kits for a grand on the net etc?

i want realistically, anything above 200 - 250++ BHP.. and as much as the feel of turbo is appealing to me, im happy to go for naturally aspirated but i want the option of being able to get even more power eventually?

Any ideas people?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
+1. 2.8/2.5 conversion. with the 2k budget, you should be able to get around 220-230bhp, I reckon.

Turbo/SC will get you around the same numbers, but it will cost a lot more than £2000.

Or, even better, go for the M3 engine. The conversion should fit the budget, and you'll have plenty of power with plenty of room for future mods.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
For 2k, buy a 328i Coupe / Sport!

You'll be able to find one for 1200 - 1500. Then get it M50'd and remapped for about 400 and job done. 225-230 bhp, plenty of torque etc.

Then, when you flog your 316, you'll have the cash for an LSD, or E46 brakes or just money towards insurance. :thumbsup

Sticking with the 316i....
Turbo? £3k plus, high fuel, insurance and low reliability.
328 engine/gearbox? £500-800 plus at least a grand fitting and sodding about.

Start with a car that's already got at least 90% of the power your want (and the brakes etc to match) or you're just throwing money away... your choice. :cool

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
If it were me Id forget turboing it etc. Youll be left with a car that is unreliable and has cost you a fortune to make it so.

As above flog yours and go for something like a 328i coupe if you want more power.Plenty out there for peanuts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts