BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - this is the first time I've used this forum so here goes... I have a 1999 318ti Sport Compact. I got the usual symptoms of a blown head gasket - lots of steam out of the exhaust, coffee coloured sludge in the oil etc., so used a sealing product which seems to have done the trick. I've also changed the water pump, the thermostat and the radiator but my problem continues with the fact that the car continually overheats. I keep bleeding the radiator (removing bleed screw and slowly topping up expansion tank until the bubbles disappear from the bleed screw outlet, then topping up again) and I can drive approx 6 - 8 miles then the car starts to overheat. Very occasionally it will correct itself but the air coming into the car is cold, although I did notice today that for the first few seconds after turning on the air vents it was warmer than it has been, but then it went cold again. Every time I bleed the system I have to use approx 2 litres of water to top up again. I'm only using water for now as it's getting very expensive whilst still bleeding the system using anti freeze! When the car is hot, the water is bubbling away in the expansion tank. I don't seem to be losing it anywhere though which is really baffling. Could this be the heater matrix causing a problem? I'm a single mum and have done all the work so far myself to try and avoid costly garage bills, so any advice would be truly welcomed! Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sounds to me its more likely to be the headgasket still, Maybe you could also check the heater control valve which is located on the bulkhead under the bonnet.
Will look something like this :

Reactions: sally64

·
Registered
204 Posts
Im afraid it sounds like head gasket as in a leak between compresion (gases).Are the top and bottom hoses quite hard to squeeze ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The top hose has been hard to squeeze but not all the time and the bottom hose stays soft. It's really weird as I've just taken it "round the block" and it hasn't overheated. I left it to idle for 5/10 mins and the needle started to move and then it corrected itself and stayed in the normal position. I'm so baffled! I'm so hoping it's not the head gasket still. When I drive it it sounds fine, its not lumpy on idle and there doesn't seem any loss in power. Aargh!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So hoping it's not the HG still. Will cost me a fortune! Thanks for the tip re the heater control valve. I'll check that tomorrow when I've got some daylight. Someone mentioned the heater matrix - apparently that can cause overheating too? I'm literally learning this as I'm going along. Think I might take a mechanic's course next....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts