BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 e36 318tds Throttle hestitation on gear change. Help needed!

Hi all.

First post so please be gentle.

My "new" purchase after years of Vw is my daily driver 318TDS touring.

I've a few common niggles (heater fan u/s, rusty patches, loose trim etc, etc..) but I'm sorting through those.

The reason I'm posting is that I have a hesitation when changing gear (manual box).
It dosn't happen all the time but it's usually between 1st and 2nd gear.
Imagine the scene......... pull out of a junction, go for 2nd gear and the engine won't rev. Keep it in gear with foot down (dosn't matter on percentage of throttle) and the car won't pull away untill about 800rpm.
It then accelerates as normal as though nothing has happened. Meanwhile the car that was 100m up the road from me is now on my back bumper cussing me for pulling out on them even though I had loads of time originally. :jaw-dropping.

The car starts and cruises fine with no missfire type syptoms. It happens both hot and cold. Maybe a bit more when cold. It's fine 90% of the time. It always starts to pull away again as soon as the RPM drops to 800 ish. No mil light on.

Could do with getting to the bottom of this ASAP while my back bumper is still intact.

I've blanked of the EGR. I'll be doing more bits and bobs after I've sorted this out.

Many thanks, Sam. :thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you had the fault codes read for the engine yet? If not then this should be done. :thumbsup I seem to recall the fuel pump can give issues like this, Doug1234 will be the man to ask. :thumbsup (member on here)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts