BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Happy New Year!

hopefully one of you will be able to help diagnose my very frustrating problem...

cold start first thing of a morning, engine turns over but struggles to fire, once it has fired, if its not drained the battery first, it runs very rough! almost as if its on 2 or 3 cylinders!!!

once it has run for about 2 minutes its as sweet as a nut.

if i then turn off the engine, and restart it fires first time.

once sat for a period of time say over night the problem is there again.

now i'm 'ok' with nuts and bolts, but electric etc i have no idea and really need your advice?

Cheers in advance

Gav

318is coupe M44 1999(feb)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I dont know the answer but mine does exactly the same. I just put it down to mine being old (1996 318is) and high mileage (170K) and cold weather.

When its slightly milder it starts a bit better. But like you say most mornings she really hates starting first thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Exact same symptom's guys :(

I have the spark plug's changed and the thermostat done in it also, and when i got it back after a really hard frost over night it was really hard to start.

At the time i assumed it was something todo with the K& N cone air filter, but i removed that, check all the hose's and they all seem ok.

I though maybe it's the MAF but why would it be so rough right after starting, yet run perfect after 10 - 15 seconds.

I guess i'm as stumped as you guys .

d..

·
Registered
416 Posts
That was the first thing i did. And check all hoses but they all seem fine.

I cleaned the ICV and even bought a spare.

:D
i'm lost for ideas then other than a full service i wouldnt or a faulty MAF i wouldnt know what to suggest

If it were the ICV would she not still be rough even when warmed up ?
Not sure to be honest i have seen cars with a dodgey ICV that when warm would run better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys, cleaned the ICV recently, and as you say, the car wouls surely run crap if it was the ICV!

Been reading that it could be the MAF too, but i read a way of testing it, when your car is running, unplug the MAF, its should run like a bag of bolts, then plug it back in, should run fine, which mine does?

i also had my battery tested, the guy tested it at 300 cranking amps, was sound?

DOH! Help please!

g

·
Registered
82 Posts
hey guys, cleaned the ICV recently, and as you say, the car wouls surely run crap if it was the ICV!

Been reading that it could be the MAF too, but i read a way of testing it, when your car is running, unplug the MAF, its should run like a bag of bolts, then plug it back in, should run fine, which mine does?

i also had my battery tested, the guy tested it at 300 cranking amps, was sound?

DOH! Help please!

g

I installed a new battery over the Xmas in mine as the old was was really fubar, the only minor batttery related issue i have is the negative connector is slightly busted, and has a huge crack in it on one side .

As for a spare MAF, i'll see if i can get my hands on one of them, i think i know where there's another IS being broken at the moment so at least that might help there

d..

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have a cylinder misfire every now and again if its been stood over night and its been cold. i just give it some revs for a minute and it sorts itself out...but if there is a split in the plastic of the coil packs it can misfire when its cold, but once warmed usually rights itself, because the plastic heats up and expands thus plugging the gap so the spark goes where it should.

·
Registered
82 Posts
did the new battery make any difference at all?
The only diff it made was she started on the first turn, but since then this problem has developed.

i have a cylinder misfire every now and again if its been stood over night and its been cold. i just give it some revs for a minute and it sorts itself out...but if there is a split in the plastic of the coil packs it can misfire when its cold, but once warmed usually rights itself, because the plastic heats up and expands thus plugging the gap so the spark goes where it should.
Newbie questions here, the coil's run down on top of the spark plug's ? I ask as i checked mine and they seem ok, however one did have a little oil around the end of it, just a little mind you

d..

·
Registered
162 Posts
you find the coil pack if you trace the lead back from the top of the spark plug and off into the engine bay into a box. im not sure what they look like on an m42 engine, but my m44 one has them sat in a box next to the top of the engine.

oil aint gonna help a spark, so just pull out all your plugs and check all the ends, check for minor splits in the leads, push some towl down into the spark plug hole to see if any oil is lurking around down there

·
Registered
82 Posts
you find the coil pack if you trace the lead back from the top of the spark plug and off into the engine bay into a box. im not sure what they look like on an m42 engine, but my m44 one has them sat in a box next to the top of the engine.

oil aint gonna help a spark, so just pull out all your plugs and check all the ends, check for minor splits in the leads, push some towl down into the spark plug hole to see if any oil is lurking around down there

Good plan of action there, it's only on the 1st spark i've noticed it, the one closes to the fan.

I'll take it out and give it a look over later on so

d.

Edit, i've an M44 engine in my wee compact also..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey i had to do my gasket around the top of the head and also around the plugs, quite easy and stopped the oil getting onto the plugs.

ill check for cracks and also give them a good covering of WD40.

·
Registered
82 Posts
hey i had to do my gasket around the top of the head and also around the plugs, quite easy and stopped the oil getting onto the plugs.

Might be something i'll have to do, i'll keep it in mind

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea got the parts from bmw, as they are only rubber gaskets they are quite cheap
do need a small amount of RTV sealent though

·
Registered
115 Posts

This is the exact same thing i had to to do on my 318is m44 engine.

oil was getting in with the plugs causing the car to idle like a bag of bolts, solved my issue car runs great now.

Only from a cold start if been left over night for the first 30 seconds mine idles like its on its last legs then after the 30 seconds purrs like a kitten.

i just put it down the cold and the age of the car plus the 120k miles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes thats what my car does too, done 115K now but surely there is a part that when they get old and tired we can change so start up is good.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts