BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since ive had my car there's been a quiet ticking type sound above 2k rpm, the noise is always the same volume, doesn't change when under load, and doesn't really seem to change speed with engine speed, but gets a little more apparent when warmed up. Can also only really be heard inside the car, but its definately from the engine "area". It pretty much dissapears after 4k rpm or so, so its never really bothered me, just thought it was a bmw 4 cyl sound!
The girldfriend commented on a grass-hopper type sound, which i suppose is the only way of describing it accurately. Ive been under the car & the exhaust looks good, no leaks, when the bonnet is opened you cannot hear it so i guess the manifold is good too, but its difficult to see/look for the tale tale black soot marks where it bolts to the head.
So i suppose my question is: Is this a nomal sound? Do these M44/M42 engines have a weird sound about them? Many thanks!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so just been for a drive & i lied slightly, it does get faster with engine speed, but is most noticable on deceleration between 2.5k & 2k rpm.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I have replaced an exhaust manifold on one of these before mate. It was cracked at the flange but did get quieter when it warmed up. Can you post the sound on you tube so can have a listen? :thumbsup

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a go at recording it on my phone but it sounded rubbish, couldn't really hear anything. It does sounds like an exhaust noise, but i think its alot less than im making it out to be. Heard another 318 earlier & it sounded similar, infact alot of the 4 cyl engines that ive heard have a particular sound about them. What end of the manifold was it cracked at? Up near the head or at the bottom? Wouldnt a cracked manifold sound awful under load?

·
Banned
110 Posts
check all your spark plugs make sure there all tight and replace if poss, and your wires including coil pack , could also be sticky or damaged tappets.....ticking noises on bmws are commingly also associated to vacum loss , so check all pipes for any leaks

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
They had very small cracks where the pipe was welded to the flange that bolts to the head. It didnt sound as bad as you would imagine not sure about this on yours though. The easy way to tell would be to get an emissions test, if the manifold was blowing the Lambda reading would be too high because of the oxygen drawn in to the exhaust system. :thumbsup

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could be the timing chain tensioner, not the lower one, but internal, if that makes sense lol I replaced my lower timing chain tensioner and noticed a new ticking noise between 2-4k rpm when the engine is warm. I don't think its serious, its just the oil getting thinner when warmer. Could try a thicker oil maybe. If i decide to keep my car (which is doubtful) then I'll try thicker oil to see if it helps.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: The noise seems to come & go as it pleases, took her for a long (ish) spirited drive tonight (not flat out though!), at points i had the window down, in 5th at low revs (<2k rpm), using heavy throttle to put it under load, doesn't make the noise, so i think thats the manifold/exhaust ruled out?
Got home & the noise has completely disappeared! It also seems there was a slight tick of some sort at idle, as its much quieter now.
Could it be a noisy tappet? That has somehow cleared itself? (hopefully permenantly!)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Update: The noise seems to come & go as it pleases, took her for a long (ish) spirited drive tonight (not flat out though!), at points i had the window down, in 5th at low revs (<2k rpm), using heavy throttle to put it under load, doesn't make the noise, so i think thats the manifold/exhaust ruled out?
Got home & the noise has completely disappeared! It also seems there was a slight tick of some sort at idle, as its much quieter now.
Could it be a noisy tappet? That has somehow cleared itself? (hopefully permenantly!)
It could be the tappets. The tappet noise comes and goes as it pleases on my 318. :frown

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 318ti (m44) ticks when driving but i can't hear it when stopped with the bonnet up, sounds just like what you describe, hope you find out what it is and let us all know.

Good luck.

Davy

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 318ti (m44) ticks when driving but i can't hear it when stopped with the bonnet up, sounds just like what you describe, hope you find out what it is and let us all know.

Good luck.

Davy
Wow, bring a thread back from the dead!!

Sorted it not so long ago, after the engine dropped a valve seat & bent a valve in the process. The ticking was the valve seat being slightly touched by the piston, must have been slightly out of place but took ages to fail properly. The sound was travelling down the exhaust making it sound like a cracked manifold.

Spent just over £200 on parts alone (all genuine), to put it back together with ALL new gaskets etc. Plus labour for someone to fit a new valve seat & skim the head very slightly just to clean it off. Cost me £300 all in all, which isn't too bad considering the work that would have been involved for a garage to do it! Was off the road for 2 weeks while i was doing this in the evenings while there was little light!

This doesn't mean this is the same problem you are experiencing, as this is the first case ive heard of, of this engine having this kind of fault.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out but i hope that doesn't happen to mine, knowing my luck of late anything is possable i get the feeling it's probably the cam chain with mine but i dont know for sure.

Seem's these engines are known for this but i can't find any common reason, it missfires for a short time when starting on really cold mornings since i put the correct oil in it so the hydraulic tappets are also in the frame but it makes a very different noise when it does that.

Think i'll run it a while yet before i start stripping the head off, not looking forward to that one :eek

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.