BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

i just wanted to know how to get involved in drifting. I have never done this before and wish to take part.

What do i need (apart from a rear wheel drive car)
Does the car need to be modified (roll cage etc), can it be a standard car?
How the hell do you drift, can i learn when at an event???
does it cost anything???

Thank you :thumbsup

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,133 Posts
you can drift pretty much any RWD car mate. Can be standard, but a car with a locked diff will be easier to control. Do not attempt it on roads. Go to the pod as they have there own drift days up there and i think they teach you there aswell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
lol at the roundabout thing. i dun it once on a sunny sunday afternoon bad idea cars decided to turn up while the roundabout was covered in smoke. but santa pod is meant to b good and they have tutors there aswell. i was meant to be going with a group of mates but i unfortunately wrote my car off. not being stuip either got caught out by ice.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Get a second hand diff and get it welded for the drift day and a cheap set of coilovers, trying on an open diff with a 318is will be very hard work. A 318is with a welded diff will be fine, but you will have to push the engine quite hard.
Standard shocks will take a battering and are too soft, the car needs to be hard as rocks to break traction easy.

Get yourself booked on a drift day at Santa Pod, its not as easy as people make out. You hear a lot of bullshit on these forums about people with there BMW's thinking they are drift gods. Do it there as its safe and controlled. Dont even bother on the road because they are not big enough and the car will bite you on the arse. I have just about got the knack of it after months of trying. The first day it took me the whole day to master how to do a figure of 8...:shifty:
If you get chatting to some of the experianced guys there they are usually very happy to go out with you and give you some hints and tips, they are usually happy to take you onto the main course in there own cars which is awsome.

Good fun for cheap money at the Pod.....:thumbsup

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks very much steve for the advice. i think i might just make a little trip to santa pod, might also buy a cheap rear wheel drive motor to use. Steve please do let me know if you make a trip there....might just join you if thats ok?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
thanks very much steve for the advice. i think i might just make a little trip to santa pod, might also buy a cheap rear wheel drive motor to use. Steve please do let me know if you make a trip there....might just join you if thats ok?
Yeah, no problem Donnie. We are planning some more trips when the weather warms up a bit. :thumbsup
Hopefully we will have an R32 Skyline car to use and you can have a go mate. its not a BMW but will do the job. Just got to build the damn thing...:hihi

·
BFuk Mankini Crew Member #1
1,885 Posts
And me I always c them but last min an have no one to go with :( I drift the streets to a extent (industrial estates and roundabouts tight back roads etc) but like Steve said roads are thin and kerbs are high and the danger of injuring other people is high not to mention the plod dislike it! Might start a thread and c about a bimmer forums dwyb day :)

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,133 Posts
Even tho iv got an auto i might pop up there. I know its no good for the car but to anyone who says you cant drift an auto, they aint trying hard enough :hihi

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Even tho iv got an auto i might pop up there. I know its no good for the car but to anyone who says you cant drift an auto, they aint trying hard enough :hihi
That's ether dedication or subor-ness :rofl :cool

I can see this turning into a mini road trip... :silly

·
Registered
171 Posts
also keep the back end light and the lower profile tyres the better ;)
anti roll bars should help too as the stiffer the car is the better will handle sideways

1 - 16 of 16 Posts