BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Iv been messing about with my car since iv had it, so far iv changed the dials to blue, indicators to red, interior roof lights to blue, gearstick and handbrake gaiters are blue, chrome rings round the dials, carbon fibre sticker round the dials, 18 button obc from the analouge clock and a carbon fibre gear knob. Not everyones cup of tea i know but each to there own. I have noticed tho that over the years the dashboard and doorcards and things like that have faded to a lighter or duller black, what can i use to make these proper black again? I was thinking about black boot ploish since its hardwareing but dont want it coming off all over the place. The list of things i wanna do to it soon is tint the windows limo black on the rears, light smoke on the fronts, recolour the parcel shelf black and get some black leather seats. If you have any other suggestions feel free to say. I want to keep it tasteful without going over the top.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
how did you fit carbon fibre sticker round the dials? ive got some had the speedo appart and the cover is glued on :( do i need to cut it? thanks mate.
for the black trim i use poorboyz trim spray stuff, smells lush and keeps it all black even stops dust.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hard to explain but i will give it a shot lol, Remove the cluster unit from the car, undo the 6 or 8 srews in the back, then u got 3 white sticks u need to twist round i used some long nose pliers then ur free to pull the dials out. Once there removed it is a bit of a pain but ur left with the whole front part like the window bit then on the back 4 circlues where the dials all that u cant get apart all i done was took the backing off the carbon fibre sticker, feed it through the speedo hole passed the rev counter and then the engine temp gauge pressing down where i can get my fingers then u need to bend it abit to get the petrol gauge bit in thats the tricky bit cuz thats where the milage reset button is which u cant get out all i done was made a tear directly under that button and then pushed um back together once its on the hard plastic then its done :) it is tricky tho if ur like me and got big fingers lol but worth it in the end. the chrome rings where the hardest to fit cuz once the sticker was on it made the dials that bit extra fatter so the rings didnt sit in properly so i had to glue them in. Give us a shout if u get stuck and i will try and help ok mate.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah and thanks i will look for that is it called poorboyz yeah? I usually use some vanilla dashboard shine outta halfords :hihi but that only lasts for about a day the shine does then its dull again

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here we go mate i know this is an e46 and there fitting chrome rings but its the same idea as fitting the carbon fibre sticker to the dials u gotta work backwards on yourself hope this makes it abit clearer post a pic up when its done :) heres some pics before and after i done the chrome rings on :thumbsup

·
Registered
387 Posts
im goin down that route of colour lights inside, im doin it all red tho, as for shine i use a product called finish and its from autosmart, im a car valeter and have used so many diff things but finish is amazing its £20 for 5 litres. it lasts for mths.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what car u got? e36 coupe? If so iv got somewhere a red and chrome gear knob, red leather gear stick gatier and a dull red looks redy pinky colour max power handbrake handle if ur interested i will post pics up

·
Registered
387 Posts
thanks for the offer mate but as mines a m3 rep 4door saloon im having the interior black with m3 gaiters etc so im only doin the lights red.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok right ok mate never mind there just getting in the way at mine as iv now turned mine to a black and blue theme:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
Clusters look fantastic!

Red stuff looks horrendous.

Coloured interior bulbs belong in Corsa's and their various counterparts.

Its your car though!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know what you mean about the red i only had it in there about a week then ripped it out. Iv now got blue but thinking about getting a new gearstick and handbrake gaiter. If it was you would you go with black leather with the m3 strips in the corner or black with the m3 coloured stitching? Im not quite sure which one will look smarter, They both cost about the same so that part aint an issue, I have already taken my clear rear lights off and put my m3 style ones back on as they look smart in my opioion. but not sure about the gaiters inside. :confused

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clusters look fantastic!

Red stuff looks horrendous.

Coloured interior bulbs belong in Corsa's and their various counterparts.

Its your car though!

Your car looks sweet, :thumbsup I have always wanted a soft top but not sure if the wind as im driving along with the roof down would affect my hearing aids so never really brought one incase it did.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is mine inside as it is at the moment. The pic with the red indicators shining is a bad one you can see the dials all the way around but for some reasson its not showing on that pic sorry but u get the idea of what it looks like.

·
Registered
387 Posts
its easy as fella ive had the clocks out and it took 5mins to get dias out etc.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To get mine proper blue i had to take the cluster apart, remove the dial faces from the clear plastic then get some cottonwool balls and some nail varnish remover and scrub the glue off the back of the dials cuz they had this orange coating on um once the glue is removed put it all back together pop ur bulbs in and away you go. it took me about 45 mins from start to finish but its well worth it if you ask me. The indicators are the same but instead of a cottonwool ball you should use a cotton bud and go around the arrow on the dial faces. Just one tip or word of wearning if you do decide to get the orange glue off be careful not to get any nail varnish remover on the dial face or it will start to bubble and the black face will start to peel. You only want to get the glue off on the back of the dials. Hope this helps mate. :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts