BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving the car on rutted and bumping roads (most of em in the UK!!!) the car has a tendancy to tug the steering and feel like the rear is steering as well. There is no knocking or play anywhere as far as I can tell. I have lowered 35mm the car due to the orginal springs at the rear collapsing, and fitted 17 x 8 rims on all 4 corners. Allthough it did this with the orginal wheels fitted.

Is there anything else I can check for?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
When driving the car on rutted and bumping roads (most of em in the UK!!!) the car has a tendancy to tug the steering and feel like the rear is steering as well. There is no knocking or play anywhere as far as I can tell. I have lowered 35mm the car due to the orginal springs at the rear collapsing, and fitted 17 x 8 rims on all 4 corners. Allthough it did this with the orginal wheels fitted.

Is there anything else I can check for?

I would sya that you need to check the state of the front wishbones.

make sure the ball-joints are nice and tight without any excess movement and especially check the rear mounting bush on the wishbones- these are know to fail and cause problems.

·
Banned
110 Posts
hey there

you have a common fault with e36's , front lower control arms - rear control arms, if you car has done over 80,000 + miles , you may aswell replace them, try to get quality german parts not cheap soviet block parts.
these components are like the foundations of a house so if there poor then the handling and stability of you bimma will be like a shed in high seas in the year 1997. If you were around that time you would know what great weather we had in the uk in that year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had a good check around on the car. I cant feel or see any play in any of the mounts/joints. There is a little movement in the rubber ring on the rear of the front arms however I would expect this as its not a solid mount. I have posted some pics of the car to see if the wheels are making the problem worse as they are alot wider than the standard and could this be making the problem worse (I used to have a MG ZR that used to tramline when new). Plus if anyone knows what wheels they are I would like to know, bought them from a guy that had them on his E36.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you checked your rear trailing arm bushes out?

Also will be worth getting the car 4 wheel aligned if all bushes are good.

As for the wheels have a look on the rear of the wheels and see if there is a 7 digit part number, if so then post it up and we will try helping

1 - 5 of 5 Posts