BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car had not been getting up to temp and rarely going out of the blue so i fitted a new thermostat today and now the damn thing leaks!!

I removed the old one which was stuck open and cleaned all the mating surface,fitted the new rubber seal and bolted it all back up and its leaking from around the top mounting bolt.....any advice??

Al

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you installed it correctly and it leaks then it is faulty...

Sounds simple but you have tightened all of the bolts correctly?
I have tightened all the bolts but did not want to overtighten them as they are only small and i'm scared of snapping them....did them up as tight as i dared.

Anyone know the torque settings for these bolts?

Al

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it off someone on ebay and it was brand new in box for £40.Don't think its a genuine BMW one.

Al

·
Registered
22 Posts
the hella thermostats are about that price from Euro Car parts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Emailed the guy i bought it off and he says it was from eurocarparts as mentioned above....are they any good?

Al

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello mate the ones from E*** C** P**** are absolutely useless, its worth paying the extra for a genuine BMW one mate. I had the same problem as you as well as the stat working it self loose from the housing. The BMW one is so much more peace of mind. Hope that helps mate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found out why its leaking....there are hairline cracks round one of the mounting bolts.I'm gonna get a genuine bmw one!...Where is best place to get a genuine one from?

Al

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers mate...is there anywhere online i can order one has i don't have a BMW dealer near me.I googled genuine bmw parts but aint had much luck:confused

Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts