BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1999 E36 318 coupe brake duct

3K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  Horny Devil 8 
#1 ·
Hey guys iv been fitting an 18 button obc in my car the last few days and now come to a stumbling point the last bit aswell lol. Where is the brake duct in my engine as iv been told i need to wire the outside temp wire to this to make it work. can someone post a pic up with an arrow to please or am i right in thinking its this? :confused

#3 ·
No, thats not it.

What you need to do, is go down to the bumper, look at the passenger side fog light, then look to the left of that, and you'll see a hole leading to the passenger side brake disc... Thats the ducting, and thats where the sensor is placed.

#15 ·
This is what iv got given to follow on the post that i followed to install the obc with

Access to the engine compartment is located behind the blue connector. I used a hanger to feed the wire through. The temp sensor is located on the passenger side brake duct (for RHD cars) and it uses 2 wires- one that goes back to the OBC and an earth that connects to one of the ground connections in the engine compartment. I used a ground located just beside the headlamp. A ring connector was used to connect it as outlined below.

#16 ·
That looks to me to be right infront of the passenger side headlight i get the right hand screw where that is but its the left hand silver screw that i dont understand iv not got that bit as far as i remember iv just got some black plastic or will it be under the plasitc :confused

#20 ·
yes that pic is what your after mate. personaly i find removing the little cover under the bumper is easier than going from topside.

get on your back and have a look under the car you will see a small panel of plastci what attatches the the bumper and bottom of arch liner. take out the 3 bolts i think it is then pull it out. this gioves you access to the spotlight and brack duct. on the brake duct there is a blank in the place where you need to fit your sensor.

if your car diodnt come with obc then you wont have a sensor so looking for that yellow cap will be useless.

you can get the ducting out by pushing the arch towards the wheel slightly then wiggling the duct out as its just clipped in on the bumper and slides into the arch liner

#21 ·
Na i never had an obc i done a retro fit from the clock to the 18 button obc. Iv got all the functions working apart from the check but that will never work unless i cover my car with sensors and thats to much farting about lol and the outside temp dont work thats the only thing im struggling with. heres the link i used to follow the installation from its confusing me cuz they dont show anything about adding anything to the brake duct it aint that clear.

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20821

thats the steps i followed.

#23 ·
taken from the link you posted mate

Access to the engine compartment is located behind the blue connector. I used a hanger to feed the wire through. The temp sensor is located on the passenger side brake duct (for RHD cars) and it uses 2 wires- one that goes back to the OBC and an earth that connects to one of the ground connections in the engine compartment. I used a ground located just beside the headlamp. A ring connector was used to connect it as outlined below.

black plug
Pin 12: (brown/grey) Goes to ----------------------> Temp Sensor

#24 ·
Ah so i need to get a temp sensor thing right now its making sense :cool:thumbsup and yeah iv installed a gong aswell iv put mine under where the lighter socket and abs button or what ever it is thats where iv put my gong so it aint rolling round under the steering well lol. Plus being deaf for me it dont sound that loud where it is dunno what its like for anyone else tho lol.

#25 ·
right lads got a question to ask iv done the retro fit from that ugly analoge clock to the 18 button obc all i need as u know is a temp sensor. my mate has not long got her beemer and her obc dont work so she has asked me to take her obc out and fit my old clock into her car. If i do this will she still need her temp sensor or will it be useless to her:confused If it will be useless i will nick hers and use it in my car :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.