BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Im new to this so please go easy on me.

I have recently purchased a gem of a 1999 E36 Compact and was hoping someone could clear an issue up for me.

Q1. What Key and (Mainly) Fob "Should" have been sold with the vehicle ? The vehicle was born in Early March 1999 and I got the chunky 80s Retro Disco Red and Grey Buttoned version was this the standard release fob in 1999 with a Compact ? (Cant imagine Ford having a better key at the time).

Q2. If the above was the standard release is it possible to upgrade the keys via BMW to a newer Smart Version like the fob with hidden pull out key ?

Many thanks

Barry

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Q1: sounds about right for that vintage

Q2: your key fob is for the alarm only - not sure if your car has an immobiliser built into the key - if it does;t then you can buy a blank and get it cut at a local locksmith

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My guide is here. You have the 3G Mk2 alarm system. Keys varied, usually you'd get a master with a little LED light, plus a spare without, a grey valeT key (doesn't open the boot or glovebox) and a plastic emergency spare. To use one of the flip keys you'll need to split your key and get the chip out of it but unless you are going to fit another remote locking kit the buttons on the flip key won't don anything.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/e36-alarm-identification-guide-3t-2t-3g-ews-t39173/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts