BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Nice to meet you!

I wonder if you could help me out with a little irratating problem i have?

When i first bought my 1999 V reg 316i compact bmw i am sure it came with a fob which had a red and grey button with a corner missing on the casing!
I cannot however find the fob now and must have lost it during a house move!
Unfortunately i was burgled a while ago and they took my bmw keys along with other items and because of this i had the locks changed on the vehicle although the ignition key is still the same.

My question is because the vehicle came with a fob does that mean i have got keyless remote access to the vehicle and how can i check?

It does have central locking and unlocks all doors via all 3 locks and also when turning the key in the lock and holding for a few seconds the windows close.

As you can imagine having two keys is a bit annoying and i often try to put th ignition key in the door and vice versa!! :mad

I have had a read around and believe i might have the electronics in place for keyless remote but need some reassurance from you experts before i explore !

One other thing is that i do not have the red led/button near the gearstick!?

I hope someone can help me?

Kind Regards
Chumley:)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You have two systems. A cat 2 immobiliser that works from the key. And a Cat 1 alarm that works from the missing remote.

You can't start the car without the right chip in the key. You can unlock the doors and disable the siren with the missing remote.

The two systems are almost entirely independent. They only mix a bit when the sounding alarm disables the starter motor via the same wiring the immobiliser uses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1999 316i Compact BMW - No remote fob!?

Hi Again,

Firstly thanks to Joylove & Billywhizz for there fast response and educational input.;)

I have now been told by the wife that when we bought the car it did NOT have a remote fob with it, so does that mean it never had one in the first place?

I did pop into my local bmw sales garage hoping for some answers but they said they couldnt help because some had remotes and others didnt and couldnt check for me !?:confused

Is the only way to find out to remove the glovebox and see if it has a control module for the remote fob?

If i have no alarm fitted is it still possible that i have a Radio Remote Control and if so what and where do i look to find the module that the fob would operate with?

I am going to have a look at the weekend so any advice before then would be much appreciatted!

Kind Regards

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Radio Remote was a factory fit option so if you give the dealer your VIN they should be able to tell you, it will save messing about behind the dash!

I assume you don't have a siren in the engine bay or sensors at the top of the windscreen as per the guide?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm suprised Joylove didn't post the link himself![/URL]
Noone seems to search before posting on here but this chap seems to have, so I thought I'd give a laboured answer.

Often see approximately the same question on the top two or three threads - does it not bother anyone round here? Most other forums would give non-searchers a bit of a roasting :jaw-dropping

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1999 V-Reg 1.6 Compact--Radio Remote?

Radio Remote was a factory fit option so if you give the dealer your VIN they should be able to tell you, it will save messing about behind the dash!

I assume you don't have a siren in the engine bay or sensors at the top of the windscreen as per the guide?
Hi Billywhizz and thanks for taking the time to try and help me out !:D

As i said i will have a good look this weekend to see if i can find a siren somewhere in the engine bay but i definetely do not have the sensors you mention!?

As for my local dealer, well not very helpful really and i feel a bit reluctant to go back!
If i post my VIN on here would someone be able to help?
After all i dont wont to strip the dash to pieces if i know for certain it does not have radio remote!:confused

Regards
Steve

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Unless someone on here works at a dealers unfortunately not. The siren to look for is the 3G Mk2 as shown in the guide.

On non-compacts there was a slip of paper stuck under the botom of rear seat that has all the option codes for the car. Not sure if that applies to your car but you could have a look.

If you don't have it fitting remote central locking is pretty easy, or you could get some quotes from auto-electricians if you are not confident with wiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had a look for a the siren in the engine bay this morning and cant see one !:frown
Also i did try to look under the rear seats -for the option sticker -but they dont seem to want to come up i presume they are bolted!?

I guess i have a Bmw that only has the cat 2 immobiliser and no alarm or radio remote :mad

Billywhizz you did mention an option of fitting i presume a third party keyless remote central locking kit is this fairly easy, is there a guide on here and what is a good one to get?:confused

Regards
Chumley

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
Just like to say thanks to all you guys who helped me out on this topic:thumbsup

I finally discovered i had no alarm and no radio remote so fitted a third party keyless remote that works just fine:thumbsup

Glad i joined this forum and will use again !

Regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts