BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi
my 316i failed on emissions and a broken coil spring, there are no nasty lights on on the dash, i noticed on the way home that the heaters were blowing cold in the hot position, the car had been standing for 6 months and i know i should have checked the oil and water before i went but well i didnt, just want to know if the water temperature cotrols the cold start ie. richer mixture when cold, and is it worth retesting after topping up the coolant, i have the coil spring to replace and my 10 days is up soon, just wondered what you thoughts are on this
cheers
Tim

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've just had similar issues on my 320, and the advice given to me on this forum was:

Use all the old fuel & put new fuel in
Give it a good hard run - high revs, & get it nice and hot on the run.
Give it a good hard run on the way to the re-test, so its hot when they re-test it (this helps the cat efficiency)
Use a product called cataclean (you add it in to your fuel and it reduces emmissions)
And if all that fails check things like lambda sensor & coolant temp sensor are working correctly (on a diagnostics machine).

I'd also give it a service - new air filter & plugs etc.

All worth trying... and if that fails you need to start investigating fueling etc.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Post up all the emissions results.

As for the cooling problem, where does you temp gauge sit when the car is warm? it should stay on the 12 o'clock position. You could have either a air lock, knackered water, knackered heater valve or knackered thermostat.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
I've just had similar issues on my 320, and the advice given to me on this forum was:

Give it a good hard run - high revs, & get it nice and hot on the run.
Give it a good hard run on the way to the re-test, so its hot when they re-test it (this helps the cat efficiency)
Dont do ANY of these things as suggested until you have sorted the cooling problems out as youll either cook the engine, blow it up or both!

First things first is to check for air locks and take out the thermostat and test it to see if it is working( see the how to on this forum to bleed the cooling system). Then get a compression/sniff test done.

Second thing is get the codes read to see if the lamba sensor or other sensors are working properly

Then report back mate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts