BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I intend on buying a new exhaust system for my compact but would like some advice on which system to go with.

I want one with a nice tone but without being stupidly loud!

I had a Magnex system on my 205gti and although I liked the noise it made when it was on tick over, motorway driving was annoying after a while. However there was not much to my 205 so I wonder if the superior build quality of my compact will lend itself better to a Magnex system?

Anyway my questions are;

Does anybody have a full system on their compact or similar?, what type of sound does it make? boyracer, low grumbling tone, deafening ect ect, what are people preferred complete systems? and any reconditions of where I should go to buy it?

Whacky

·
Banned
478 Posts
maybe one of the bimmer forum tuning vendors will be able to assist you with your question, give them a try!:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
On the motorway any sports exhaust in any car will make itself apparent! IMO, if you like a quietish motorway drive, do not get a performance exhaust.

I have brushed aside the idea of an E39 M5 as even as standard, the noise would do my head on on motorway journeys.

On my previous 325i I had a Scorpion 1/2 system. On idle it was near enough the same noise level wise, but dual carrigeway & motorway driving became irritating.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
On the motorway any sports exhaust in any car will make itself apparent! IMO, if you like a quietish motorway drive, do not get a performance exhaust
Good advice DSK:thumbsup

I understand what you're asking. There are quieter systems on the market but unless you have tested each exhaust yourself on an identical car then it's not really possible to advise on this one as everyone's OPINION is different:hihi

I've retitled and moved the thread for you whacky32. Please read and take notice of the forum posting guidelines:rofl

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A20, Sorry about the title although I have posted a few times this is the first time I have started a thread and thanks for moving it.

I agree about opinions being subjective but that was what I wanted really, after speaking to a friend about it he was of the opinion that some systems are known for being louder than others and I was wondering if that view would be echoed on here.

DSK, I don't do anywhere near the miles I used to do, most of my 'longer' journeys are now 45mins or shorter and on a/b roads meaning my rev counter would be at about 30000rpm or less most of the time. I think at the rpm it shouldn't get on my nerves too much.

Whacky

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
A20, Sorry about the title although I have posted a few times this is the first time I have started a thread and thanks for moving it.
I noticed it and couldn't resist:rofl

No hard feelings, It will receive more attention in this section:thumbsup

Personally I always recommend Scorpion but in this instance it's going to be more a question of who manufactures one for your vehicle and not a case of which one do I go for:frown

The market seems to be more scarce for the smaller engines for some reason:confused

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I like scorpion. They are good quality and usually fit first time. The one on my 318 is quite loud but the one on my 325 is just right. JUst dont buy the cheapest make you find. :thumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts