BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mate has just bought a 99 V Reg 316 compact, the one with the 1.8 engine in, with a suspected headgasket failure.

Bloke who he bought it off knows nothing about cars, he was driving it one day a few weeks ago and the temp guage started to go up, pulled over straight away, rang the AA out, they just listened to what he told them, didn't check it out, just towed him home.

My mate bought it, go it home, checked it over, no oil in the water, no water in the oil, runs fine except..

After about 20 mins idling, the water level in the expansion tank starts to rise, it doesn't shoot up, it takes about 2 mins to fill the expansion tank.

All this time, the radiator fan doesn't come on.

Any ideas??

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could possibly be a damaged stat in the closed position.
That's what i'm thinking, when the aa was called out, it was during the freezing weather, for the price of a stat, it's worth doing anyway

might need bleeding do a search on forum for correct procedures am on my phone so can't post a link
Again, that was another thought, will fill and bleed the system when he replaces the stat:thumbsup

·
Registered
995 Posts
These use the 1.9 litre M43TU engine from the E46 316i. They're known for head gaskets, but they aren't a massive job - shouldn't be a lot more than £3-400 all done with a skim and a decent gasket/head bolts. These also use an electric fan so if that's not working it'll run very hot in traffic. With the rad cap off, the coolant level will rise anyway as it gets hot - it needs the cap on to pressurise the system and lower the boiling point. Look also at the plastic heater pipe take off on the back of the head (have a grope) and replace if if it's at all wet. Thermostats generally fail 'open' on these and it's a one piece unit with the plastic housing. It'll be an ECU controlled unit on a 1.9.

·
Registered
11 Posts
it sounds like the thermostate gone and a tip for your mate if he pulls out the electrics to the fan an puts a hair clip in both ports the fan will cum on staight away. but it will still over heat till the thermostates bin changed then should all b good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts