BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The road outside my house floods in bad weather (like i'm having now) and this morning i had to drive through water that was upto the bottom of the doors for about 30 yards :eek

How deep can i safely wade with an E36? .... have seen the damage that happens on Renault diesels when they go beyond their limits firsthand and dont want to be repairing the car if i dont have to ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ive drove like that before and my car was fine, mines a e36 compact 1.9 se not that its advised that you do that everyday lol!!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Like Dave said make sure it dont get in the air intake system other wise you will be in a lot of trouble!

So... Dont let any water near your grill! As thats wear the Standard intake is...

Reactions: red316

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Red hot Catalytic converter plus rapid cooling could reduce it's lifespan rapidly. Mmmmm that'll be nice and cheap then.

Leave the car at home and get a boat:thumbsup

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
the manual says 30cms max.
Those Germans think of everything!

Watch your fog lights, if you see any cracks in them that run horizontal across the lines in the glass, that's from thermal cracking when a hot light gets splashed with cold water!

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
It will depend on the car, but the Highway Code (!) used to cite the water depth being no higher than the wheel hub - but that assumed stil lwater and probably a 1950s Ford Popular!

Whatever the depth, I would assume the risk is a 'bow wave' from a vehicle going the other way -particularly if it's a 4x4!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup

I used to own a modified Discovery that waded to halfway up the windscreen :eek but thats gone now :frown

The highways agency down here are useless as the road only serves 4 households inc ours so we dont come as a high priority :mad

When you say the grill do you mean the lower grill in the bumper or the "kidneys" between the headlamps??? ..... i'm obviously well versed in the "make a bow wave" school of thinking due to my offroading days and always keep the revs up to ensure that the exhaust doesnt flood :hihi

Looking at getting a Discovery or Land Rover 90/110 in the not too distant future again but at the moment finances are limited at best sadly :frown

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The main issue barring quenching hot castings is Hydraulicing where, as liquids don's compress like gasses you can easily get enough cylinder pressure to crack head, block or blow a gasket. If lucky maybe just stalls.

I was always taught to keep the revs up and keep moving.

If you go quick your bow wave could easily take it up into the grill

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Renaults/peugeots are bad for drawing water up as they used to have the intakes at the bottom of the engine at sump level so it was very easy to hydro-lock them.
I've done many an engine rebuild on hydro-locked Reno's .... one guy did it twice in 3 weeks :jaw-dropping

No fogs fitted to mine for some reason so they wont be a pronlem ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts