BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

Well, I finally did it - picked up my '98 840ci from Scotland on Saturday and 450 miles and 7 hours later I got home! Just a beautiful drive in an amazing car - 80mph on the motorway felt like 30 and 7 hrs just flew by. Only a couple of issues with the car, one of which I have already fixed. I noticed that the auto box seems quite slow to kick up to 5th - is this normal? Also, pulling away hard from stationary is very fast but accompanied by an almost fog-horn like noise - anyone got any idea what that can be?

Anyway, here are a couple of shots:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerforums! Sorry i cant help you with the problems but im sure someone will be around in a second with some good advice :)

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerforums! Sorry i cant help you with the problems but im sure someone will be around in a second with some good advice :)
+1, part of the problem scutty is that your title reads "Just joined the club" more like an intro thread, rather than a technical question.
Maybe retitling or a even a new thread might alert more members able to help with your issues.:thumbsup

This link should help explain thread titling protocal..http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f69/read-this-thread-is-it-really-that-hard-t22556/ :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
welcome to the Club, don't take the forum rules personally, just title your future threads correctly..this really helps others search for problems and helps them help you.

sounds like you got a good one there, and if a 8 series hasn't got a few "issues" then it's probably fake.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
thats a great looking car you have there and in the best colour lol. as for your noise it could be wheel bearing, diff, prop shaft, flat tyre, sticking brake caliper, etc. next time you use it see if you can narrow it down a bit. get a friend to listen as you drive past or something. anyway welcome to the empty wallet club.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Welcome Scutty, that's a lovely looking car. A nice blue - 2nd best :D

As for your noise - can you be a little more specific

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The noise is odd, maybe a belt slipping but more of a lower pitch sound. As I said it only happens when pulling away under very heavy throttle. I will try and do a little more experiment and see if I can narrow it down.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
868 Posts
Trying more heavy throttle starts in an E31??? Do you own an oil well? :)

Anyway, welcome to the club.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Could the noise be the traction control cutting in? The roads are greasy right now and I find it fairly easy to get a bit of wheelspin which is accompanied by a low pitch rumble and the traction light flashing on the dash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts