BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo Lads,
For about a month my car has been intermittently not starting.I'll turn the key and nothing,turn again,nothing,again,nothing etc.then the starter will turn as normal and start as normal.The longer this problem has gone on the more times I have to attempt to turn the key for it to start.Today now it doesn't start at all,after 36 times of turning the key I gave up and push started it.Any ideas please?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Sounds like the starter motor to me.
Im not sure where the motor is on yours but use a circuit tester to check for a feed from the impulse wire into the starter motor when you move the key to the crank position. It will take two people to do this.
Also if the dashboard lights dont dim when you turn the key and it doesnt start, it should be the starter motor :thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Steve:lol,
So if there is no power at the solenoid feed there is a break in the wire and if there is power there, then it's the starter? Would it possibly be the brushes as it was a gradual decline in starting? Also it wouldn't be the solenoid as the solenoid is either working or not and doesn't give an intermittent fault,is that right?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Cheers Steve:lol,
So if there is no power at the solenoid feed there is a break in the wire and if there is power there, then it's the starter? Would it possibly be the brushes as it was a gradual decline in starting? Also it wouldn't be the solenoid as the solenoid is either working or not and doesn't give an intermittent fault,is that right?
Spot on :thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ignition problem sorted.

Sorry for the delay,I fell off scaffolding and was hospitalised.
Anyway,I checked the starter and it's ok then I bridged the solenoid feed,starter side of ignition switch and it started.So I dismantled the starter switch and discovered 6 brass contacts that are operated by the lobes of the key barrel which open and close the circuits when the key is turned.After adjusting these by bending them to ensure better continuity and replacing all the components. hey presto the car started first time and I haven't had a problem since.Happy days!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Same problem, same car

After buying my beemer 318 touring yesterday i was saddened to discover it wouldnt start, same scenario as yours after a few attempts it fired right up no problem, then it wouldnt then it would etc etc, anyhow after reading this thread im confident it must be the ignition switch, stands to reason i suppose as when it does crank it starts strong no problem, i had a quick gander before, and after removing the top cowl screw and the lower cowl push clip i still couldnt remove the cowls, seems to be another fixing on the lower one further back but looks like the whole cowl above the pedals has to come off to get at it? is there a third fixing to get the cowl off as i was scared of forcing it too much and breaking it off? anyhow nice one this thread has reassured me its probably just the iggy switch after all and nothing too........expensive:).........hopefully

·
Registered
252 Posts
Got the cowls off, took switch out and messed around with the contacts although they seemed strong, (probably weakened them myself a bit trying to strengthen them doh! ) anyhow put back together and tried it.....nothing, swapped key for master key (grey one) started up, turned off and swapped keys back...nothing, repeated this process about 5 times and every time it started up with the grey key so must be the chip in the other one not being recognised by the immobiliser now and again.....that will do me i will just use the other key to start it:) happy days will just keep fingers crossed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.