BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Purchased my first BMW Thursday. I have a 1999 T-reg 318i SE, E46 I believe?

It's metallic black, charcoal grey interior with walnut finishers. Soon to be replaced with carbon/silver ones and hopefully leather interior.

The key fob is this shape...

Now, the 'lock' button was folded under itself, so I unscrewed the casing, removed the battery then the insides, unfolded, and put back together.

I tried starting the car and nothing happens, ignition comes on but it doesn't even turn over. Obvious immobiliser problem. Having a quick browse online found a remedy, turn in ignition, hold unlock, press lock 3 times, then release unlock. Doing this, nothing happened. Except now the key won't even unlock the car or boot!

Have just reconnected the battery (after disconnecting for 45mins to reset ECU), used the same method, and still nothing.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but it is a introduction/help me thread!!

Lewis

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
When you took apart the key, did anything fall out? i.e a small black chip?

Also the central locking programming won't stop the car from starting, it sounds more like a EWS problem(immobiliser) due to the chip in the key.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have followed the procedures that are in those diagrams but still no luck.

The remote central locking and boot release work, it's just starting the car.

The only thing that was seperate inside the fob was a small piece of rubber (from the back of the lock button) and a cut piece of plastic (looks like a bodge job to enable the lock button to work). There is nothing else inside other than the small circuit board with the three buttons, LED and battery attached.

Does having your battery out for longer than a minute affect the immobiliser? I am generally good with cars but this has stumped me! Never owning a BMW before doesn't help I guess. Such a gorgeous car, I just want to drive it!

Help!!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Absolutely Top work Neal :thumbsup

Lewis, the chip WOULD have been in there if the car was running, there is NO way the car will run without it :frown

You MUST find the chip :eek

Or you will need to get another CODED key from the dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks lads! :thumbsup

Have just found the chip in the top drawer of my toolbox where I took the key apart. When I removed the main board it came out quite quick and I was concentrating on not dropping that incase I broke it. With the chip not attached, and so small, it had dropped out without me realising. :blush

I feel a bit of an idiot now, but hey ho!

Thank again, now going to enjoy my new car :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Double edged help here...read this and thought i'd swap my knakered key housing over for my good one. The good one has never worked on the car, which i thought was odd, as why would you buy a key with no chip?
Swapped them over and now it works!!! wtf?? :)
Thanks guys. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll give you a hand with this one Ron :thumbsup. Here are some pics of my key taken apart.

-- Images removed from quote --

Do you reckon the piccies are nice and clear?...:D
First off, sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I just registered on the forum purely so I could thank Neal. If it weren't for your post, I wouldn't have realised that I'd done *exactly* the same thing as the OP and lost the transponder chip when I replaced the battery in my key.

Thanks to your pictures I knew what to look for and spotted it straight away right near where I'd first taken the key apart. This has been driving me crazy all day!

So thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.