BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own it, i inherited it, but it was a end of the E36 last off the production line in south africa 316i but apparently they stuck a 1.8 in it. however after driving it around im not so sure, the documents say 1.6 but its an import and no one really told them about the engine, the reason its imported was we moved back from SA and had space in the container to threw the car in. i don't have the papers from back then, except the registration plates. I was wondering if there were any tell tails on the engine its self that you can tell what size it is.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
To be 100% sure have a look on the engine block, left hand side when sat in the car, just above where the sump meets the engine block, behind where the engine mount bolts to the block will be the engine code/number.

What does it say on the chassis plate? anything like 164E2? Or you got the usual SA car with no engine code on chassis plate?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Definitely looks like a 1.6, mine looked slightly different. BMW, like Mercedes have an odd habit of not badging up truthfully, i.e. my 520iSE, was in fact a 2.2 and so on and so forth.

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks, interesting what you said, cause apparently that is what this one was "meant" to be, a 316 end of line with a 1.8 block in it, though i was never sure, and as it was imported its a pain to trace. mind you bmw could probably find out... but at what cost lol

just looking on fleabay at a 1.8 block, looks identical to the 1.6 block from what I can see, hmm.... ill look for the number on the engine later...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
thanks, interesting what you said, cause apparently that is what this one was "meant" to be, a 316 end of line with a 1.8 block in it, though i was never sure, and as it was imported its a pain to trace. mind you bmw could probably find out... but at what cost lol

just looking on fleabay at a 1.8 block, looks identical to the 1.6 block from what I can see, hmm.... ill look for the number on the engine later...

To be sure, as Ronnie said- you need to look for the engine code on the block- it will be on the inlet manifold side where the sump meets the head.

Also, look for the chasis plate on the car.............the engine code will be stamped on the left hand side of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.