BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had other braces on past cars but havnt fitted one on the z3 yet /anyone done this on the 2,8 z3 and did it really help car out ??

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
been told it helped on my mates old Z i dont know 100% as never go to drive it lol.
on my past cars it help with a brace.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i have had other braces on past cars but havnt fitted one on the z3 yet /anyone done this on the 2,8 z3 and did it really help car out ??
one of the best mods you can do to the Z3 IMHO (as far as handling goes) - they really should have came from the factory with them:

Here's some pics of my E-Tech front strut brace:

Depending on your type of driving and what you use the car for - you can also get rear but struts and side struts.. there's only one company that makes these though: Strong Strut in the US - and they're not exactly cheap.. they also reduce ground clearance so that should also be a consideration..

EDIT: I forgot to say that you need to get a 6 cylinder Z3 specific strut brace to fit straight on.. or if you buy an E36 6 cylinder brace you will need to modify it to take into account he earthing post on our struts - you can see the cut out for the earthing post in this pic:

HTH

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
We fitted one on our z3 2.8 - Definately the thing to do :thumbsup Can't remember what make it was, bought 2nd hand off the bay, but worth every penny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I fitted the one linked to baove to my first Z3

And I have the strong strut on my current one

Definately gives less flex cornering.

And its one of those perfect mods, doddle to fit / remove and you can always resell and get half your money back as they don't wear out ;-)

The other surprisingly effective mod is to upgrade the Anti Roll Bars for thicker units, actually smooths out the ride and again adds stability in the twisties.

ps I've got the Butt Strut but there are mixed views on thier effectiveness and they significantly reduce effective ride height over speed bumps etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where to buy a strut brace?

Where would I best get a strut brace at the right price? I am in Jersey so it will have to be online.
The car is a '99 2.8.
Also should I get the type illustrated above or one that runs in a kind of V shape back to the main bulkhead?
BTW really excellent forum. I bought my Z3 this afternoon so I may be looking for some advice over coming weeks.
Cheers
Rick

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Where would I best get a strut brace at the right price? I am in Jersey so it will have to be online.
The car is a '99 2.8.
Also should I get the type illustrated above or one that runs in a kind of V shape back to the main bulkhead?
BTW really excellent forum. I bought my Z3 this afternoon so I may be looking for some advice over coming weeks.
Cheers
Rick
Hi Rick! - welcome to the forum!..

your best bet would probably be on eBay - that's where I got my Etech one.. there is no point in getting one that runs towards the bulkhead unless it actually attaches to it (although the design you've probably seen like this for Z3's is for the 4 cylinder variety which requires routing like this to avoid the intake manifold and throttle body).

The Etech one or the one listed above are both good and similar design.. if you want to spend a bit more money then you could always get the Strong Strut - but they all do the same job.. just make sure that you don't buy a hinged design one..

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks for that advise. I am going to sort the strut brace first. sounds like the best mod to tackle first. cheers rick and will advise progress.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
thanks for that advise. I am going to sort the strut brace first. sounds like the best mod to tackle first. cheers rick and will advise progress.
no problem! :thumbsup

·
Registered
9 Posts
Slight delay in replying! Where has the year gone? Yes i did fit the strut brace, bought new off ebay (about £90). Excellent mod and I can highly recommend it. The car is much stiffer in the bends. It corners exceptionally flat (it was good before but even better now). I also fitted a new set of Falken tyres which I am really pleased with (the old set were 12 years old and knackered).

We have had lots of fun with this z3 this summer, including a cracking drive around the Loire valley in July.
Cheers Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts