BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been looking all over the place to find a diy on an oil pressure switch change on a 320d, but all i could find is a diy on petrol engines. Since the oil filter housing on my 320d is way in the back, does anyone know how to get to it? Do I have to take off the intake manifold? The diy on petrols seems pretty easy, but as i looked in my engine, doesn't look like an easy job.
Pictures would help a lot.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost.... I can see it, as in the pic you just posted, but i wasnt sure if that was it, because people have been stating that the pressure switch is pointing to the back of car, and like in the pic, mine is pointing to the side. Plus, looks easy in the pic, I can hardly get my hand down there. Anyways, thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had occasion to try to replace mine once but when I saw where it was I gave up the ghost...I reckon unless the inlet manifold is off you wont ave a hope

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had occasion to try to replace mine once but when I saw where it was I gave up the ghost...I reckon unless the inlet manifold is off you wont ave a hope
Yea, on the link above looks easy, but in reality its a different story..lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, seems that there isn't any room to maneuver in there, Im going to try it out in a couple of days and see how it goes. Just I'm hoping that i wont need to take the manifold off.. Maybe the power steering might have to come off, and a bunch of water hoses(for heating i think ) might have to me moved around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the pressure sensor off, needed to go at it from underneath. took off some plastic piece that protects the a part of the axle, so i could get just enough room to slide the wrench through. im adding an oil pressure gauge,so since the is no room down there , i added tubing with a 12 x 1.5 mm thread in the spot of the old oil pressure gauge,bringing it up to the top of engine. at the other end of tubing there is an adapter with a 12x1.5mm (for original sensor) and a 1/8 npt tee off for the oil pressure sender (for the new gauge). Job well done, all is left over is to start the wiring inside the car. If anyone wants to see how i have done it, il be glad to post up pictures when i finish the job

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
got the pressure sensor off, needed to go at it from underneath. took off some plastic piece that protects the a part of the axle, so i could get just enough room to slide the wrench through. im adding an oil pressure gauge,so since the is no room down there , i added tubing with a 12 x 1.5 mm thread in the spot of the old oil pressure gauge,bringing it up to the top of engine. at the other end of tubing there is an adapter with a 12x1.5mm (for original sensor) and a 1/8 npt tee off for the oil pressure sender (for the new gauge). Job well done, all is left over is to start the wiring inside the car. If anyone wants to see how i have done it, il be glad to post up pictures when i finish the job
That'll be a great help to other members especially if you could take the time to write a "How To" up, nice one fella :thumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just did a "how to" on this, hoping the pics come up in order with text, and waiting the mod to approve:) Now if someone can shed some light on this subject and help me out. My pressure gauge reads this. starting at cold, pressure up to 3 bar. At operating temp, pressure a idle is 0.5 to 0.75 bar. 1500 rpm at 1 bar, 2000 rpm at 1.5 bar, 2500 rpm at 2 bar, 3000 rpm 3 bar, and at full throttle between 3 and 4 bar. Are these figures normal? the other things is that after startup, car needs some time to get any pressure at all. If car is off for 1 min, starting it brings my pressure up straight away. if off for 10 min, it takes 1 second to build any pressure. If off overnight it needs 3 seconds to build pressure. Now, this was the case even before i added the gauge, since my idiot light told me the same. After installing the gauge, took the car for a spin and wanted to see what the pressures were with the mobil1 5w30 oil were, then changed the oil to mobil 1 0w40. At normal op temps, 0w40 has a little more pressure, but the cold starting showed the same results as the 5w30. With both oils i get no pressure at startup, for how long, depends on how long the car was off. What could be causing this? any help appreciated=-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts