BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 535i v8
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi peeps. I've got a bmw 535i and when I bought it it has a crazy loud backfire. The pops and bangs was immense. One of my mates adjusted the throttle cable been a d+ck and now it doesn't. Also doesn't drive as good as it did. Its like hesiteny to take off. Seems like revs stay where they are as gains speed. Riding a clutch sound as if u was in a manual ?Anyone know the setting for the cable.

Also when driving or even idling it won't rev past 4500. Gearbox won't change unless I drive In Manual ? any ideas. Any help will be much appreciated as I've no idea what to do

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
When you say "adjusted the throttle cable" what exactly did he do?

The backfire (and I suspect a lot of your other issues) are probably due to leaks in the vac system and/or inlet manifold. The reason it now won't go over 4500rpm is the throttle body isn't opening correctly after your "mate" adjusted it. It is going to be difficult to pin down the faults without getting a good look at the thing but if you can get some diag codes back it would help.

Gearbox issues: ever had the oil in the box changed? It sounds like the box electronics are probably in need of a bit of TLC. Again, read the codes and go from there.

Hope you get it sorted. I have 2 E39 535i and they are lovely things when they are on song.

·
Registered
1998 535i v8
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say "adjusted the throttle cable" what exactly did he do?

The backfire (and I suspect a lot of your other issues) are probably due to leaks in the vac system and/or inlet manifold. The reason it now won't go over 4500rpm is the throttle body isn't opening correctly after your "mate" adjusted it. It is going to be difficult to pin down the faults without getting a good look at the thing but if you can get some diag codes back it would help.

Gearbox issues: ever had the oil in the box changed? It sounds like the box electronics are probably in need of a bit of TLC. Again, read the codes and go from there.

Hope you get it sorted. I have 2 E39 535i and they are lovely things when they are on song.
Well there is 2 cables on throttle body a gold one and a black one. He screwed them but didn't see which way he turned em. The gold one is really loose.
The gearbox changes gear in Manuel but if I floor it. Cause the rev range bounces at 4500 it struggles to change gear. It drove lovely before.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I'd start by readjusting the cables on the throttle body. Unfortunately mine are both the later variants with the fly-by-wire arrangement so I can't send you some comparative images.

This is probably the most useful thing at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts