BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
for a while now iv had a shake on the front of my e39 B10 3.2 when brakeing

on a recent trackdat it was really bad so i have replaced the pads all round & refaced the disks thinking they ha warped

anyway it still happens when light braking around town & from speed

any ideas i dont want to change bits that arent causing the fault:thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked for movement in the wheel front/rear & there is very little both fronts

i was thinking of polly bushing the front end as i do track days but dont have the cash at the mo to do that & find i still have the same fault

its just cost me £230 for the pads & tax is due end of the month

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the front wheels have dents in the inner rim but most of the B10 wheels do

the car has eibach streetline coilovers & have noticed the fronts have leaked a little im not sure if they could cause it

its strange if you catch the brakes right there is no shake but most of the time its a shake

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its looking like a set of polly bush's is going to be the first step

might phone eibach on monday to see how much a refurb of the front shocks would be

·
Registered
238 Posts
it's a pain to find these sort of probs, i had to brake hard from some good speed. i also had some wobble, as though the disc was warped. These are brand new, so will have it checked out in a few week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the exact same symptoms as you so thought I'd add my ten pence worth.

Front suspension thrust arm bushes are the most likely cause since you've ruled out warped discs/pads already. There won't be much play in the wheel if you physically try to shake it, but you need to get it on a ramp and with a pry bar you'll soon see whether they have too much play in them or not.

I don't know about polybushes, but Lemforder rubber based ones are pretty cheap, trade price around £35 for a pair. Fitting them is the real pain, it's probably easier to replace the arm unless you have a lot of will power and a very decent puller. When I did mine, it took several different pullers and a lot of anger! Car drives like a dream now though, no more wobble on braking.

I'm going to assume your B10 is the same set up as a 540 so here's a link to a how-to:
Thrust Arm Replacement
Worth noting that the above write-up is for the complete arm replacement, whereas the £35 I mentioned above is merely for the 2 bushings, and for that you don't need to take out the whole arm, and definitely need it on a ramp to do it. Refer to image 15 for a photo of the actual arm itself.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I have no idea why, but when I posted earlier I had it in mind that it was an E46 that I was commenting on:embarrassed

Having thought about it over dinner and re-read the thread, it is obvious that it is not and that I am a c*ck..... Sorry. I mean it even says so in the title...

Thrust arm bushes on the E39 are very common, especially on a powerful car like yours with big off sets on the wheels like the Alpina rims. I might have got the car wrong before, but the diagnosis I stick by - I would look at changing those bushes first and foremost, not an easy job, but very worthwhile.:thumbsup

Polly bushes are easier to refit and feedback is good, excellent for the track, but some find them too harsh over bumps on the road. The original BMW bushes can be more than adequate and (in the case of my E36 M3 anyway) very competitively priced too.:thumbsup

Sorry for the confusion I may have caused earlier.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm a mechanic by trade but never had much to do with BMW I will get a full set of front bushes ordered up & as I have use of the workshop at work with press it shouldn't be to bad to swap them
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not been on for a while as I have been busy

Last week during my brakes at work I replaced all the suspension bush's & brake pipes

Had a couple of runs out in it this week & all the wobble has gone
Going to give it a good blast out tonight to make sure it's ok

·
Registered
37 Posts
Excellent news! Glad you managed to get them all done and it seems (touch wood) to have cured the wobble. I remember when I did mine that the difference it made was remarkable, for the better. Car drives like new, thereafter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts