BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any info on the preferred / available exhaust mods for the 540i.

I've seen a few posts about bypassing the 'Y' shaped 'resonator' (is this a cat or silencer?) and the extra 'scuba tank' rear silencer.

What are the gains likely to be - do they sacrifice any torque?

I know the M5 system won't fit easily (without mods the the wheel well etc), so what are my available options? I want to be able to hear the V8 nicely - not too loud - without losing any power and hopefully gaining some. :thumbsup

·
Formerly known as Freddybear
495 Posts
Apparently no loss in mpg. I'm thinking of just going for a new semi-sport exhaust system when mine has had it so it's still reasonably quiet when cruising..

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently no loss in mpg. I'm thinking of just going for a new semi-sport exhaust system when mine has had it so it's still reasonably quiet when cruising..
Do you have any links / info on what's available?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've now read through tonnes of threads on the subject, but no one seems to have a before and after dyno.... :confused

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the best thing about getting rid of the rear box is weight. I think it comes in at about 25kgs! then you just weld a straight pipe back in it splace, easy peasy.
Yep. Apparently the 'extra' rear silencer (scuba tank - the strange one with no actual exit) is known to fill with water over time (condensation) - often more than a litre!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts