BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beemers,
I am at current counting the pros and cons for head gasket replacement.
I have done my small research on the procedure and the boiling point is: Special BMW tools.
If I am to buy them for this (as I can see it) one off operation then the cost goes to as leaving it with indy guys.

So the big question:

Does anyone in the midlands (London to Birmingham and Oxford to Cambridge) has and willing to lent the following:

- Camshaft locking tool. I am inclined to manufacture it from hard wood as per Haynes sketch);
- Crank locking pin;
- Camshaft removal compressor (to aid camshaft removal) - that's a big one and I am pushing my luck
- Vanos spanner
- Primary chain tensioner.

There is a thread up there in states where ppl have listed what they have and are willing to lend with conditions of hire.

Alternatively, can someone advise where I can hire the tools at sensible price?

At the end if no luck I may follow the various advices for substitutes: Pelican two man camshaft removal, camshaft locking with DIY hardwood blocks, drills for crank lock, drill for tensioner lock.

I could not find substitute for the primary chain tensioner and the Vanos spanner :(

Advise would be helpful.

My next question will be where to get the parts from.
- Eurocarparts;
- elsewhere
- Dealers (I may need to join the official BMW club to get the 10% discount if all cost is going to be above 400£)

I got all the procedures so I am looking through them for this exciting job: Bentley manual, BMW TIS and Haynes Manual plus phone line direct to an experienced mechanic :)

Any support will be much appreciated.
regards,
BUlboy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok Now I got the cam locking blocks and the crank locking pin from a fellow BMW owner at exciting price of 50£.
the ones I will be after are the primary chain tensioner (tool) and the cams spanner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i would not seek the camshaft removal tool as i have removed them many times without it, slow and steady undoing the nuts a bit at a time and they will remove without any problems :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts