BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to eliminate a potential battery drain. I want to disconnect the unused tracker control. I understand that this has a battery which should have failed after 5 yrs. I have no idea what the system looks like and no idea where to find it. Any advice appreciated.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Not really the sort of question that would get answered on this forum with such a low post count I'm afraid:rofl

If you are a genuine member then I am sure you will understand our reasons:thumbsup

Do you have any documentation for the tracker unit? All records are normally passed on so that the new owner can register the tracker in their name and continue the service. If you have these details then tracker may assist you.

A good auto electrician will be able to find the source of the drain you are getting:thumbsup

·
Registered
865 Posts
Tracker in e39 most likely be fitted under passenger front carpet, front pass seat will have to come out. If you decide to remove seat to check make sure key is out ign so dont get airbag warning on dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I am genuine and my details can be verified. Just because this is the first time to this forum does not make me less genuine. I have had the car for 9 years and I did not renew tracker when I got the car because it was too expensive and I do not recall any documentation.

"A good auto electrician will be able to find the source of the drain you are getting:thumbsup"

Apparently then BMW are not good auto electricians because they cannot find the tracker which they wish to disconnect because when its battery runs out the unit draws from the main battery and will not extinguish.!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tracker in e39 most likely be fitted under passenger front carpet, front pass seat will have to come out. If you decide to remove seat to check make sure key is out ign so dont get airbag warning on dash.
Certainly worth a try. Alas already have airbag warning on dash because mat switch in seat has failed.!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The final stage resistor is known to cause the battery to go flat on e39's, check for the fan blowing in the footwells :)

http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/page.asp?categoryID=322
Thank you. I believe this was changed years ago. But to be sure are you suggesting that if the resistor is gone or faulty there should or should not be air flow in the footwell and do you mean when the footwells are selected from the position switch or when the position is say windscreen only?

I have contacted Tracker and they know the position of all trackers fitted and for £78 will come and remove same. Since this is cheaper than an hours worth of looking by BMW I will probably opt for their service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts