BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have an used 528i from 1998 E39 touring with almost 230000 kms and before i bought i went to BMW service to make a checkup, i mean some diagnostics..

They detected some errors like EHC error. That error was cleared on BMW service before i bought the car.

After driving it for almost 100 kms i had the suspension self levelling warning light on....for one day it was on then went off...now after almost 1500 kms done and i get once again these warning light and since then i drove my car for about 10 kms and its still there....i mean...yesterday i had these warning light and today its still there...and after some time it goes off and gets on again when i turn on my car...

What should it be ?

May i drive my car for about more 50 kms without problems if i have care of course ? I plan to go to BMW service in next 2 days.

Is these a common problem or what ?

thanks a lot!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i have been driving my car since it showed me first time that warning and till now everyday i get that light on and off on and off and on and off....till i can get it to the dealer this week maybe!

Today when i was filling my car with petrol i noticed that when i switched on, the warning came in again..was these an evidence of anything ?

What can it be these ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rear air springs are common for going at higher mileage, :mad

have you read the fault codes recently to see what is stored on the ECU?

I am just wondering from all of these parts relating to the self levelling suspension which one its the most expensive ?? Its all i am worried with cause i see a lot of components on these feature...and dont know which one its worse....

BTW, i hear some times something on the rear filling like a pump...maybe....is these the self levelling suspension working or what ? Some leak ???

I go to the dealer maybe these week to look for that codes i guess....

:thumbsup

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to the dealer and suspension its ok! No problems found....just a bunch of electronic weird behaviours.....on my car....its just a question of reseting.....wonder if cars could have less electronics....they would be better!:lol

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Went to the dealer and suspension its ok! No problems found....just a bunch of electronic weird behaviours.....on my car....its just a question of reseting.....wonder if cars could have less electronics....they would be better!:lol
So once the dealer reset the suspension electrics it was fine :confused

Nice! :hihi

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well they checked my suspension and didnt found anything wrong with it....the problem its that yesterday once again light went on on suspension warning light.....i am getting tired of these electronics.....:sarcastic

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey there 528i,
I have a 523i Tourer with the same suspension and had a similar problem a while back. The warning lights came on one day out of the blue but the suspension seemed to be functioning perfectly (the noise you hear is the compressor under the spare wheel).
I actually drove the car for ages with the lights on, but one day the rear started to drop. Turned out to be wires on the level sensors coming adrift. As soon as the wires were fixed, so was the problem.
Might be worth a look, but if your local dealer has had the car in, they should have picked this up :confused.
Good luck anyway.
Tone

Reactions: Ronnie

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well they told me everything was ok with the suspension.....but i keep having all days since then that warning light coming on and off....sometimes comes on for a while then goes...then comes again and goes....

BTW, answering about another electric problems i had an issue also on light control module which gave me a lot of errors about every light i had in my car, from headlights to tailights and so on....they didnt told me much more than this.

They told me that the light control module could be needing a replace.....i guess they want some money too....cause they didnt knew why the errors appeared...they just told me that needed maybe a replacement...
:):)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
BTW, answering about another electric problems i had an issue also on light control module which gave me a lot of errors about every light i had in my car, from headlights to tailights and so on....they didnt told me much more than this.

They told me that the light control module could be needing a replace.....i guess they want some money too....cause they didnt knew why the errors appeared...they just told me that needed maybe a replacement...
:):)
I presume they cleared the codes, they may have been there for a while.

Otherwise the ignition switches are known to go bad on e39s, they can give you electrical problems.

May be worth a try if all other avenues become exhausted

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I presume they cleared the codes, they may have been there for a while.

Otherwise the ignition switches are known to go bad on e39s, they can give you electrical problems.

May be worth a try if all other avenues become exhausted

What do u mean with these last phrase ?!

And about ignition ? Are u saying that ignition sometimes fails in these models and gives some kind of troubles? They showed me the diagnostics and there were all vehicle lights there with errors....

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
What do u mean with these last phrase ?!

And about ignition ? Are u saying that ignition sometimes fails in these models and gives some kind of troubles? They showed me the diagnostics and there were all vehicle lights there with errors....
I mean that if you can't find the problem, neither can a garage or sparky then try replacing the ignition switch as they are known to cause problems and create fault codes in different systems:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.