BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My car has stock the standard E39 sound system, previous owner uprated it a bit which was handy but i am in the process of fitting the tweeters behind the door card vents which was found on the hifi spec sound system.

To have the tweeter on the door card means having x overs with 4 plugs - i unfortunetly only have two plugs...

I know however that it is possible to wire them in somehow to the existing setup.

Does anyone know how this is done ? Would it be as simple as using Scotchlocks and tapping into the wiring for the other tweeter ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check your OEM speakers don't have a filter network already there :thumbsup. So you want to wire up the mid range and tweeter to the x-over and then to the HU. Two inputs and an output right? Guessing it's a passive x-over as well.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Erm :confused

I'm not that clued up on electric's and speakers.

The main speaker on the door (the big one) has a little board on it.

It has two plugs 1 is signal in and 1 is an output for the little tweeter up in the corner by the door mirror. My car has the tweeter fitted as standard.

Im wanting to wire in my new midrange speakers which weren't fitted at the factory.

On the cars that have the midrange speakers fitted at the factory the little board on the main speaker will have an additional plug so basically it has two outputs.

I've read it is possible to wire in the mid range speaker with minimal effort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That board on the mid range speaker is the filter network I was talking about that acts as your x-over currently. Any chance you can take some close up pics mate?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The board is on the main speaker - the big one which i dont think is the mid range is it ?

These little ones im wiring in are the mid range (i think)

Here is the board im referring to. Note it has 4 connections - it's from a car with the hifi setup.

my board only has two connections but it is the same size etc.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Im missing something here,

At the moment you have one speaker in each door?
what type of speaker is it?

Im guessing you either have:
One co-axel speaker (tweet is in the middle of the woofer)
or
Components, 2 speakers a larger woofer dome and a smaller tweet

If you are going to upgrade you system with a better 'spec' of factory fit speaker
you will need the woofer and tweet and the crossover

if you are going to use your exsiting woofer, and add a tweet, you will still need a crossover of some sort to stop the tweet from playing the bass

You can buy crossovers

·
Registered
11 Posts
He has a basic crossover Sam, without a coil. BMW don't pay too much attention when it comes to sound :hihi. Here is an example using a simple capacitor...LINK

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

OK so i went down to the scrappy to find some 4 plug cross overs. I did and spent 10 minutes removing them.

I found however that the crossovers connect to the actual speaker with 4 spade connectors whereas my speakers with only 2 plugs on the crossovers connect in with 2 spade connectors...

So should i just buy the speakers and crossovers complete ?

Im thinking if i try 4 spade tweeters on a 2 point speaker something isn't going to work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you get aftermarket speakers and tweeters, then you will need to cut the OEM connectors off. Look for 4 Ohm speakers for both types.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay...

So i changed everything over today.

Fitted the new speakers with 4 connections and matching crossover with 4 connections..

I did notice that when compaired my old speakers to the new ones (all OEM BMW btw) the old ones are 25w the new ones are 40w - so does that mean the new ones are more powerfull ?

Anyways plugged them in and they worked, no problem at all. Plugged the tweeters in and they worked too.

Then i plugged the mid range speakers in and they didn't work :confused

The only thing i can see is the main speaker is marked 4 (with sorta an omega logo beside it i assume this means ohm?) and these mid range speakers are marked 8 so is that the problem ?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts